Why is WordPress better than Blogger?

Arish Dhawan February 13, 2013

I’m new to MakeUseOf and I hear a lot of people preferring WordPress over Blogger. Can anyone tell me why WordPress is considered better?

1. Katherin

I think everything depends on the website or blog you want to create. In one case Blogger is more suitable, for instance when you just want to start running blog, when the wordpress is better when you have some practice with site management. I have found rather fair comparison http://www.cms2cms.com/blog/blogger-com-or-wordpress-your-blog-startup/

2. Vedavyas Paruchuri

We can use wordpress individually on our own server and there is lot of scope for functionality enhancements with availability of wide range of plugins.

3. Deepanker

WordPress is more customizable. We can customize every aspects of the WordPress. Each and every thing is in our control. It is also better for SEO.

I found this post really interesting as an answer for this question: http://webtips.in/why-wordpress-is-best-for-your-blogging-platform
    or see this answer
    http://webtips.in/blogging-wordpress-content-management-system

4. garva sharma

answer is 4
    1-Plugins
    2-Themes
    3-Best CMS
    4-Best User Interface

5. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Having tried both services, my personal opinion is WordPress blog comes 'cleaner' by default, and looks more professional. On the other hand, Blogger is more 'fun'. Which one is better depends on your needs. When I was learning HTML I made a lot of Blogger themes for exercise, and it's very easy to customize the look.
    Wordpress' plugins are nice, but only if you decide to host your own blog. In Blogger, we can use Javascript for everything (which cause some Blogger blog to be very slow).
    I think for company blog or any serious writing, I'd go for WordPress while whimsical stories go to Blogger.

6. Bumferry Hogart

I completely agree with Junil Maharjan, although I prefer to use Blogger. Having used wordpress I found a bit too involved for my needs.
    I prefer blogger to word press because i find it much easier and simpler to use. My blogs are simple text with the odd picture thrown in. I have no need or like of plug ins for my needs.
    It really does depends on what you want your site to do FOR YOU and others.

7. Igor Rizvi?

Also whats with security,iv saw hackers taking wordpress or blogger stuff...retaking it..is that true or?

8. Dane Morgan

The biggest distinction that most people will cite is the difference between self hosting and using third party platforms. You can host WordPress software on your own server which gives you a far greater degree of control over your content and, if applicable your business.

The other important consideration is simply a vast array of options available to a blogger who deploys the self hosted WordPress solution.

This all comes at a cost of technological understanding which you must either pay for in your own time to learn or in hard cold cash to your web developer.

Set Up Your Blog With WordPress: The Ultimate Guide
    http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/set-up-your-blog-with-wordpress-the-ultimate-guide

Blogger or WordPress, Which is better?
    http://www.inkthemes.com/blogger-or-wordpress-which-is-better/02/

With WordPress, you can own the domain name and the blog is hosted on your own account. This means you have full control over your content and don’t have to worry about google shutting down your account without warning if they (or other users) don’t like what you’re blogging about.
    http://traintheteacher.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/why-wordpress-is-better-than-blogger-come-on-blogspot-users-prove-me-wrong/

10. salim benhouhou

WordPress is better because :
    you can extend its functionality with plugins .
    you can edit any of it's files ( open source ) .
    Wordpress functionality is limited only by your imagination .

11. Rob Hindle

And there are many other blogging products and services...

They all perform a similar task but differ in other respects like cost, support, range of skins/templates/themes and of plugins/addons, ease of use (both at basic level and from a programmer/developer point of view), security, search engine "friendliness", performance (speed), ease of migration .
    I'll explain the migration aspect a bit more: suppose you start with Blogger, later decide you want some features only WordPress can offer, can you shift all your content? (with that pairing the answer is: there is an "import from blogger" tool for WordPress - not used it I don't know how good a job it does).

It gets even more complicated because some of the tasks you may think call for blogging software may be better served by a CMS (Content Management System) - the differences are becoming difficult to define, a CMS can be used to create a blog and blogging software can deliver many of the features of a CMS. I guess you could even bundle online/offline "site builders" into the same broad category.

The choice is difficult and confusing, there is no "best product", it's a matter of which matches your requirements best.

Lets keep it simple and think just of Blogger/Wordpress as that was your question (but don't forget there are some alternatives that address some requirements better than either).

The free hosted versions of Blogger/Wordpress are great if you are happy with the constraints, especially if you aren't into programming or extensive customisation.

The fundamental difference is: Blogger is much easier to use, but WordPress has many more features. My advice: try Blogger, if it does everything you need, use it. If you find it too constraining try WordPress but allow more time to learn how to make it do what you want.

Then if the hosted WordPress is still too constraining you need your own hosting with your own copy of WordPress, the wordpress software is free but expect hosting costs of upwards of a few dollars a month.

Depends if you;re talking about the hosted WordPress.com or self hosted WordPress.org. f you're comparing hosted services then there isn't really an awful lot of difference, and it is more down to user preference. WordPress has a small selection of approved plugins you can install though, which gives it the edge over Blogger I guess.

If youre comparing it to the self-hosted WordPress.org, well there really is no comparison. You can install plugins, write your own custom functions, change the db queries - do anything, really. Even build a site like MakeUseOf.com with it. Couldn't do that with blogger, not a chance.

• Justin Pot

Yep, the hosted versions are about equivalent but WordPress is awesome because you can use it to build your own site, that you have complete control over. James is right on this one, but don't tell anyone I said so.

• Steve Costello

I have used Posterous (closing down April 30th), and Blogger blogs, but have consolidated the Blogger and Posterous technology related ones into a self-hosted WordPress blog.
      I also converted the Posterous creative writing blog to WordPress.com.
      I have found both types of WordPress blogs to be easier to manage, and am even thinking of taking the WordPress.com self-hosted too, for the plugins, and full control.
      That said, if Blogger works for you, stay with it. If not there are lots of tutorials on converting to WordPress.

13. Mahesh Tiwari

After creating a blog to go alongside our company website I started see articles that WordPress was better than Blogger.

it would be ok for someone that is creating a first time blog. However if you want to do any real customizing you have to upgrade to a paid version so wordpress is better than blogger

it is actually the matter of preference. I am a wordpress user and i like the user-friendliness it offers. It is very easy to use and has lots of plugins that help you to make your website look good.