Why is Windows Explorer randomly crashing in Windows 7?

Dr. Pavithran P May 26, 2012

I have Windows 7 64 bit edition working on My Dell Inspiron. It so happens that my windows explorer keeps crashing every other day. While using the system I will get a message that Windows explorer has crashed. Can u please help me with this. First the system will freeze then the message that explorer has crashed and then it will resume on its on

1. John Jullies Palma

I had this same problem. Seems like fragmented files are the culprit.

2. Dany Bouffard

You might try to run Bluescreen view its a nice apps that show you the content of the dump file windows create when an error occur. When you see the error that occured try using that error code in a google search to see what might be causing it. Even tho you didn't see a bluescreen it could have generated an error readable by bluescreen view.

3. TheNetworkedOne

There may be a registry error or a disk error. Check it.
    -Kelvin

4. Kyem Ghosh

ya I was wrong.... I thought it was internet explorer... If your win explorer was working right before, then you can go for system restore... Does your system shows any message like 'userinit.exe application error......'? Run your pc in safe mode, Chk for malwares and trojans using a good updated antivirus, have a boot time scan and then go for system restore... If you go for direct system restore without boot time scan, the problem will occur again... Try for it and even try for what others say here...

Hello, before doing anything else make sure to scan your system for malware. If results come clean, try the following:

-- click on start
    -- type cmd in search box
    -- in search results, right click in cmd.exe entry and select "Run as administrator", then press enter
    -- once command prompt opens, type the following:

sfc /scannow

-- let scan run

Keep in mind that when using the system file checker command, sometimes you need to have an installation disc handy. System file checker command, will check the files in your system with files in original installation and if it finds any missing/corrupted files, it will replace them.

go to start type cmd and launch with admin rights
    on the black screen type: sfc /scannow

When SFC runs, it logs it's actions into the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

reun chkdsk
    http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

your windows can be infected, do a scan with malwarebytes antimalware, superantispyware, clamwin...

disable windows defender and see if this fix the problem

update your video driver, or just uninstall it reboot and ket windows to reinstall a new one.

7. Kyem Ghosh

download a fresh version and install it.... there might be some bugs that are crashing your win explorer.... After reinstalling the fresh version, scan your computer with c cleaner to remove the registry errors....

• Dr. Pavithran P

Thanks for the reply, could u please help me with the procedures to reinstalling windows explorer. I am not complaining about Internet explorer but WINDOWS EXPLORER.

• muotechguy

Yeh, you can't just download explorer.exe and re-install it....