Why is Windows acting funny after reinstalling?

Cristián T October 15, 2013

I just recently factory reset my laptop (Dell Studio 1558, running Windows 7 64 bit) and I’ve been having a problem where every time I boot my computer, the display looks really distorted and low-res and while I still have sound I am not able to connect to the Internet.

I didn’t use the actual Windows installation disk to factory reset my computer, I used some ISO files that another person on the MakeUseOf sent me. When burned the ISO files onto my DVD, I ran the latter on my laptop and I reinstalled Windows.

Now Windows is acting all funky with no Internet connection and low-res display. Help would be kindly appreciated. Thank you.

1. Cristián T

Alright everyone. Just to clarify, I fixed the low-resolution problem to my computer. Now I just need to enable the ability to connect to wireless networks and I'll be pretty much good to go.

open cmd and do sfc /scannow

• Cristián T

What does that do?

well it will scan windows and try to repair if there are problems with system files...file that makes up your Windows OS will be scanned for security and errors and will be fixed, you can also boot on the windows os dvd open cmd from there and try sfc /scannow

• Cristián T

It said there are no errors.

at command prompt with administraitve righst
      1) netsh winsock reset
      2) netsh winsock reset catalog

or
      1) ipconfig /flushdns
      2) netsh winsock reset
      3) netsh winhttp reset proxy
      4) netsh winhttp reset tracing
      5) netsh winsock reset catalog
      6) netsh int ipv4 reset catalog
      7) netsh int ipv6 reset catalog

check also if your laptop does have on/off button for network

You'll need the correct graphics driver to get the display to look right, but as Dalsan suggests, you should really download all the relevant drivesr from Dell.

Dell have a couple of features to make the process a little easier. First, you can use the Service Tag (which you will find on the underside of the laptop) to find your exact laptop configuration and all the drivers you need for it. Secondly, you can add the drivers to a download list, and then download them in one go (rather than downloading each one separately, involving several clicks and screens per download).

• Cristián T

Alright. Thanks for letting me know.

• Cristián T

Oh it doesn't let me download them all in one go, because "We're sorry there is an issue with the dell system detect installed. Please uninstall and try again Return to Drivers Home Page." I tried using a different browser AND reinstalling.

• Oron J

OK, this happens sometimes. Start by downloading the ethernet (or WiFi) driver, install it and see if you can connect to the network. Then try again, this time from this machine (the one you're trying to recover) and see if you have better luck downloading the rest of the drivers together.

The bottom line is that there is no magic solution to this. If your machine doesn't have the right drivers installed, they need to be downloaded (individually or as a pack) and installed.

have you activated Windows since you didnt actually do factory reset using the DELL hidden partition?

• Cristián T

no, how do you do that?

• Cristián T

What if I don't know my product key?

well if you dont know your serial or you dont have one, then you have to purchase a serial.

• Cristián T

I don't want to pay for anything unless I'm given no other option.

I would go to the manufacturer website, download the drivers and install them. You would have to download them to removable storage so you can install them on your laptop. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/studio-1558

• Cristián T

Which driver would I have to download from that webpage?

• Dalsan M

If these drivers are specifically for your system, I would download and install all of them. It is best to start here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/ProductSelector/Select/FamilySelection?CategoryPath=all-products%2Fesuprt_laptop&DisplayCrumbs=Product%2BType%40%2CLaptops&rquery=fkey-e-Drivers_PS and follow the prompts to get the list more specific to your laptop. To manually check the devices installed on your system, click on Start, right-click on Computer, and then select Device Manager. Go through the list and check what devices are installed on your system so you can download the drivers that should work for your laptop. Some devices may have a yellow triangle next to them and possibly no identifiable information about the device. If that is the case, Google your laptop model and try to find the specific devices that may be installed in the system.

• Cristián T

The can't download the files for me. I don't want to install the files one by one because that takes too long. I'm trying to download all the files from the download list in one. And it can't pack an ISO because "We're sorry there is an issue with the dell system detect installed. Please uninstall and try again Return to Drivers Home Page." I tried uninstalling AND using a different browser.