Why is tranferring files from Windows 7 to my external HDD much slower than using Windows Vista?

La Boheme March 2, 2013

I have an older laptop running Windows Vista 32-bit. I have transferred files from the laptop to my Acomdata terabyte external HDD (FAT32) and it handled those transfers efficiently and fast. I’ve also transferred files from my old Gateway running Windows XP to the Acomdata external HDD with no problems either. I recently got a new AMD desktop with the following…

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM

For some reason, transferring files of any size from the new machine to the external Acomdata HD is much much slower than previously using the laptops. What used to take 4 minutes to transfer files from the laptops to the external HDD now takes 35 minutes on this new desktop machine.

Why is the transfer rate so much slower using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on the desktop than it was on the laptops running Windows Vista and Windows X? All have been using the same USB connection so that’s not changed. Is there some sort of setting in Windows 7 that I need to tweak? Thank you.