Why is Thunderbird no longer downloading my mail and how can I fix it?

Aungthet Paing H July 26, 2013

I am using Thunderbird. It was working well. But it has not been downloading my mail for one week. I am sure that I received over 30 mails during this week. But, no more downloading in Thunderbird.

Help me please if you know what is the problem!

1. Justin Pot

What service provides your email? Knowing this might make the job a lot easier, so let us know.

Usually Thunderbird should give you an error message if it is unable to download emails from the server.

The easiest option probably is to log in using your email providers webmail or via http://www.mail2web.com and see if and what messages are missing.

If there are indeed new message that didn't show up in Thunderbird I would suggest to start over. Backup your mailboxes, fully remove Thunderbird, re-install, setup your mail account, restore the mailboxes. This should fix all issues including not appearing error messages.

If you are getting error messages, please let us know what they are so we can help you further.
    If you are not getting errors, just no mail, try to set up a new mail account in Thunderbird, pointing to the same mail server etc. If the new settings work, it would suggest that the account configuration in Thunderbird has become corrupt, and all you need to do is to transfer your messages (and anything else associated with the account, such as addresses, calendar entries and filters) from the old to the new set, and remove the old et.
    If the new settings don't work either, try disabling the firewall, and check the Thunderbird log (you'll need to look up in the instructions in the Help for this) and see if you can find any errors there, and come back to us with the info. We'll do our best to help.

Thunderbird and Avast Compatibility Problem???
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57087.0
    Disable SSL/TLS in Thunderbird

5. Alan W

Do you see a connection error when running Thunderbird?
    Check all the email account settings to see if they are correct, dont assume because it used to work that the settings havnt changed.
    Create a new profile and enter your email account settings in that.