Why is there an occasional disk read error at Windows startup?

Osama Javaid December 8, 2012

Sometimes when I start my Windows 7 PC, an error ‘disk read error, press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart’ appears on a black screen and Windows does not load. When I restart, the same error appears.

I unplugged the SATA cable and power cable of my hard drive (Western Digital WD2500AAJS) and re-plugged and it started. I started my PC the same way today. This happened 2 times last week and every time I had to do the same to start my PC.

Kindly tell me what is the problem and what to do? Should I change my hard drive? I already made a back-up of my data.

1. Roomy Naqvy

A disk check might help.

If your PC is not old,try changing the cables (SATA and power) to newer ones.If it still doesn't works,then apply for warranty replacement in your nearest Western Digital store.Creation of account is necessary before proceeding to request replacement.

It might take 15 to 30 days to get it replaced,but you might get a new HDD.

http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp?linktype=rmacreate&portaltype=wd&custtype=end&fs=&ss=&lang=en

Your power supply (PSU) may be failing. If available, try a different power cable from PSU and a new data cable plugged into different motherboard Sata II/III connector.

Check the S.M.A.R.T data of that drive to see if it is dying or not if it is not I can't help you I'm affraid. If your HD gets alot of errors you should make a back-up as soon as possible and get another HD.

5. L?f?er DeeCyf?er

Backup your drive and do a full scan. If the drive is fairly old, it may be dying.

• Osama Javaid

I backed-up, as a regularly back-up to my external hard drive. This drive is not old by the way, I purchased the PC this january.

Scan your hard drive for bad sectors with Scandisk.

7. Rohit Pandey

Rapair it..........after entering DVD in drive.
    the problem will be solve

8. josemon maliakal

make sure that your hardware is connected well..no loose contacts exists

9. Jesse Manalansan

Hello,

Try doing a disk error check-up on restart

Make sure that the black jumper in the back of your main hard drive is set to "MA" (MASTER), get into the BIOS, Make sure the the HDD is placed as the first boot priority before any others in the listing.

Also Run in Command Prompt SFC /SCANNOW