Why is the WiFi not working in Linux on my Dell XPS L502X?

DEV Raj May 21, 2012

I can’t get my wireless to work on my Dell XPS notebook when I try using Ubuntu (10.10). Wireless is working fine in Windows.

On dmesg I get ‘iwlagn-6000-4.ucode not found. firmware not found’, although when I check it’s there in /lib/firmware! My wireless chipset is Intel n1030.

Sorry if any info is missing. Kinda noob in Linux! Please help!

1. Jimbo99

The main issue is that you are using verison 10.10 of Ubuntu. Ubuntu/Linux in general have undergone some rather nice updates that make working with wireless cards function much better since that release.

Maybe try upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

• Freecycle Me

Yes I too would recommend upgrading to the latest LTS.
      You say it works fine on Windows, could you say if you are using Ubuntu from a Dual install, (in other words it loads either Windows or Ubuntu from swithching on the PC) an install through Wubi or an install on a virtual machine using Virtualbox or the like?
      A

2. DELL-JonathanS

Dev Raj, I work for Dell and wanted to give you a suggestion regarding this wireless chipset in your Dell XPS. According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718211#9 try installing:
    linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.37-maverick-generic-pae
    linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.37-2.6.35-28-generic-pae

or the appropriate compat-wireless for your kernel version based on the output of "uname -r". Let us know how it goes.

3. Susendeep Dutta

I think that your laptop has Broadcom wireless chipset and it requires Broadcoms driver to get it into work.Refer to the link below for fixing your problem -

http://life.firelace.com/2010/10/tips-and-tricks-upgrading-to-ubuntu-10-10-wireless-fix/

• Dev

INTEL N 1030 has broadcom chipset?
      and i already tried that 'rfkill unblock'
      initially both hardblock and softblock were =y ,but aftr that i got both as =no
      but it is stil not working!!!!..........anymore help??