Why is the webcam on my Windows 8 laptop not working?
Question by Lisa Jackson /

I just got a new Toshiba laptop installed with Windows 8. Everything works pretty well, except when I go to the webcam and try taking a picture or video, a message appears saying “something went wrong when taking this photo/video.”

I tried updating it, it still didn’t work. Then I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Same thing. Any suggestions?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Lisa Jackson

I took my laptop to geek squad and they tried a majority of your suggestions while I was standing right there. The latest driver is installed so they said they’re going to uninstall it and reinstall a different one to update the software. They said if that didn’t work they weren’t really sure what was going on and they said they would let me exchange it.

Hello, have you checked if camera’s software is installed? You could try uninstalling again and run the .exe file for webcam usually located in the tools section of your drive.

• Silhoutte James

Execute “vcredist_x86.exe” under “C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Web Camera Application” (OR “C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Web Camera Application”), this will resolve the problem

• Paul Pruitt

If you don’t already have it, try downloading the most up to date Skype and use it to see if your camera works. For Windows 8, be sure to download Skype for Desktop, not the Skype App in the Windows store try (http://beta.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/downloading/).

When you install the app, it will start by asking you to make sure your camera is working. See if you can see yourself. If you can’t, use the drop down menu to see if there is another listed entry for video cameras and try that one.

see where is the default folder in which photo/video are to be saved, also be sure there is no password protection.

right click pictures and videos folder click on properties then click on location then click on Restore Default.

• dude

This might of worked for me.. but my laptop is not Toshiba, windows 8 is really buggy

• Jim Chambers

Some manufacturers put a small piece of protective film over the camera lens about 1 cm in diameter. Did you remove it?

• Ahmed Musani

this is the answer i got from Microsoft when i had this problem:

Have you performed any troubleshooting steps and disabling antivirus software?

For common Metro apps problems, check the following:
    • 1024×768 is the minimum screen resolution needed for Metro apps; they will not start when your resolution is lower.

• Check if UAC (User Account Control) is enabled.

• UAC must be enabled for Metro apps to work. To check, simply type UAC from the home screen and it will appear on the Settings search result.
    .Try using a local account instead of a Microsoft account (Live ID) and check if the issue persists.

I would recommend you to follow the below given methods and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run the Windows 8 App Troubleshooter. The troubleshooter automatically fixes some issues that might prevent your apps from running, including suboptimal screen resolution and incorrect security or account settings:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Method 2: Run a system file checker scan and check if that helps.

Refer the following steps to run SFC scan.

a. Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.
    b. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.
    C. In the command prompt type in the following command: ‘sfc /scannow’ and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Method 3: Put the computer in Clean Boot state to see if there is any software conflict as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Refer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow Step 3 from the link to return the computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 4: Follow the steps in the link

“What to do if you have problems with an app”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Have you updated the latest drivers?

If not, go ahead and update the drivers. If any Win 8 drivers are not available, install them in Win 7 compatibility mode.

Follow the steps to run in compatibility mode:
    a) Enter the Start screen
    b) Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar (If you have a touch screen: Touch the right edge of your screen and slide your finger to the center of the screen to show the Charms bar)
    c) Search for Troubleshooting, Click Settings in the right column.
    d) Click Troubleshooting. Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows
    e) Click next, select Not Listed. Click Next
    f) Click Browse and select the Driver file that you downloaded.
    g) Click next, click Troubleshoot program
    h) Check The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won’t install or run now box
    i) Click next, select the last known working operating system for this driver (probably Window 7)
    j) Click Next

really good and elaborated answer:)

• honey

thankxxx its reaaly help full

• Ziy

My webcam is not working at all it was working but it just stopped out of know where I turned the pc on and off and I installed and reinstalled but it did not work at all still my window 8 Toshiba computer is just not working very well in period