Why is the NVIDIA Control Panel Application on my laptop no longer working?

MaverickSrikant June 24, 2013

The NVIDIA Control Panel Application on my laptop is not working anymore. It crashes every time I try to open it. This started happening when I upgraded the old GeForce 268.56 Driver to the latest GeForce 320.18 Driver.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kEEGTVp.png[/IMG]

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: nvcplui.exe
Application Version: 7.2.710.0
Application Timestamp: 518ffa38
Fault Module Name: NVCPL.DLL
Fault Module Version: 8.17.13.2018
Fault Module Timestamp: 518fed9b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000005d66b
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 16393
Additional Information 1: 050c
Additional Information 2: 050c73a1afa94fb87468322288aa1bd8
Additional Information 3: 6ada
Additional Information 4: 6adad8cba17fee73cf4400d9c5ade0b6

Now, obviously I don’t want to revert to the old GeForce Driver; please help me rectify this situation. All good answers will be upvoted and the one which helps me in fixing this will be awarded the “Best Answer” by me.

I’m using an Asus K53SV laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Try the Nvidia Driver Finder Utility available for download on Nvidia Support website to obtain best driver for your hardware. Follow others suggestions to use custom clean install.

2. Robert Backlund

Hello,
    Just because you have the latest driver from Nvidia does not mean it will play nice with your current hardware, I do not always update my graphics drivers just because a new version was released. But lets say the driver will work great with your hardware you could have a corrupted install. Not everyone knows but the Nvidia driver has the best tool for doing a clean install (which is highly recommended when installing a new hardware driver especially a graphics driver). When you launch the driver installer and you have clicked on past the Nvidia license page you are presented with two choices, the first and the one most choose says "Express (Recommended)" and the second says Custom (Advanced) I always choose Custom, then click Next. Under the window that shows all the different drivers that will be loaded you have a check box that asks if you want to do a clean install. I always do a clean install even though it requires a reboot because every now and then something does not get updated correctly and it does not work correctly. Also when you choose advanced you can un-check drivers that you do not need. For instance unless you deselect it the installer will always install the latest 3D Vision Driver, not many of us even own this hardware so why install it? Try and reinstall the driver and pick clean install and I bet everything will be back to normal. If not you can always reinstall an older driver that you knew worked. If not you can always find older drivers on the Nvidia website, I have a GeForce GTX 470 card on my desktop and it had issues with one of the newer drivers so I reinstalled the original driver that came with my graphics card when it was new and it worked a lot better. Good luck and I hope that everything gets back to normal for you, however if it doesn't and you suspect a hardware issue a good check is to download one of the many versions of Linux, Knoppix Linux is a good one http://knoppix.net/ to use. Download it and burn it to a CD or DVD (you have to use a program that will burn a .iso image correctly Power ISO is a good one) and pop it into your optical drive and reboot your machine. When you reboot all newer pc's have a button to press while the machine is posting some are F12, some are F2 that will bring up a menu that you can pick what drive the computer should boot from. Pick the optical drive and it will see Linux on the CD/DVD and load it into memory and then boot your pc into a very usable Linux desktop (oh and do not worry it will not do anything to your Windows install in fact if you learn a little about using a Linux live DVD you can fix a lot of Windows problems). If all goes well then you know that there is nothing wrong with your hardware. This also works good if you suspect your sound card is not working well. Good luck and I hope that all goes well for you!

3. Vennroxx

ITS HARDWARE PROBLEM:

REINSERT YOUR G.CARD OR TRY TO FIND THE PROBLEM IN YOUR LAPTOP BY KNOWING THE PARTS/FUNCTIONS OF UR LAPPY!!!!!

HOPE THIS WILL BE HELPFUL ENJOY

Try the suggestion listed by the forum user which suggests that -

rolli59 -

The only things I can recommend is reinstalling the drivers now with windows in safe mode after running driver sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
    If that does not work then roll back to the older drivers that worked.

5. Jan Fritsch

I would suggest to re-download the latest driver available for your graphics card.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Then during the installation select "custom installation" and select "perform clean install" to prevent any old, outdated or legacy configuration not to cause issues.

if you download the same version of nvidia driver and click on it, you should see some options like uninstall, repair, choose repair, then reboot pc.

Data Execution Prevention: frequently asked questions
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Data-Execution-Prevention-frequently-asked-questions