Why is the Internet connection slow on my Windows 8 PC?

Shneor Cheshin February 17, 2013

I have a few computers around the house.
2 with windows 7 and one with windows 8. In addition 2 android smartphones.
ALL are connected to a wireless network connection.

When checking the internet speed on all three of the PC machines i always get a low result on the Windows 8 PC.

I tried to replace the wireless USB dongle, but still results are poor.
How can I monitor the reason for the poor result?
Is it the hardware? Maybe the software? Something else?

1. Md Mukhtar Mohsin

I even recommend you to switch off your automatic update and change it to "check update but let me choose whether to download and install them".This will make windows not download any update but will check for updates and if you think it is ok to download updates then click install updates then it will start downloading it else it will patiently wait for your choice.

2. Md Mukhtar Mohsin

This is because 80 % of your bandwidth is reserved by windows for its update purpose ,
    I was also the same problem so i just googled it and found the cause , here's the solution
    hope it helps you :-

1-At first click on start menu using Metro UI in Windows 8 by pressing Windows key. Now type “gpedit.msc” and Click to open. The window Local Group Policy Editor will open.

2-Here go to the Computer Configuration given at the right pane of the Window than click on Administrative Template then Network, select QOS Packet Scheduler, here click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth.

3-n the Window Limit Reservable Bandwidth you will see enabled radio button at the right side and give the Bandwidth limit 0% and than apply, this action will change the default system bandwidth to 0% and it will make 100% bandwidth available for you to use on Windows 8.

• Shneor Cheshin

Hi,
      Thanks for the reply.
      I have just configured as you mention in your reply.
      Will monitor in the next few days and see what is the result.

Cheers

3. Imesh Chandrasiri

a security software might be using the connection for it's own use or an update process might be going on!

• Shneor Cheshin

No updates are running in the background.

It is a good idea to check and I will try to disable Anti-Virus program and Firewall.

Cheers

• Dimal Chandrasiri

windows 8 update process doesn't show up in the task manager! so check on it! further more, from the task manager check for network performance! it shows how the network is utilized in real time!

Are you using a dual-band router? If so, is your Windows 8 connecting to the higher frequency channel? If not, you will end up with slower internet performance. You may need to force this setting for the network adapter in your Win8 machine (swipe from right or mouse to top-right, Settings, then hit the wireless network icon). Select your wireless network from the list. With a dual-band router, you should have 2 different entries on this list for your network. Most will have whatever you named your network when you set up the router and the other one will normally have the same name with the higher frequency appended to it. (In my case it is similar to NetworkName and NetworkName.5GHz.)

• Shneor Cheshin

Hi,
      Not a dual band router.

Thanks for the reply though.

install your driver with windows 7 compatibility mode.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html
    scrol down to section From the Desktop or Windows Explorer
    1) Right click or press and hold on a program's shortcut (LNK), EXE, or MSI file on your desktop or in Windows Explorer, and click/tap on Properties.
    2) Click/tap on the Compatibiliy tab
    3) In "Compatibility Mode", chooose "Windows 7"
    4) run the "Setup.exe"

see if in your adapter settings there is option minimum power consumption , if yes disable it.

• Shneor Cheshin

Hi,

Power setting is set to maximum performance.

I couldn't find the way to update compatibility mode.for the network adapter.
      Is there a chance to elaborate how to do that?

Cheers

do you have wireless USB dongle exe driver?

• Shneor Cheshin

I guess it is there somewhere, couldn't find it though.

Cheers

well you will need it to install it in compatibility mode, search for it on the net or the manufacturer wireless USB dongle.

Some time BIOS update can solmve some problems.