Why is my Wi-Fi switch grayed out in Windows 8?

Manuth Chek April 18, 2013

Well, this is really frustrating. The first time I install Windows 8, it perfectly detected the WiFi card, and I could it freely. But the second time, the WiFi switch in the PC Settings (Metro UI) is grayed out (I remembered I put Airplane Mode on back then), with no way to switch it on again. I tried the latest drivers, checked UEFI, and even tried the Power Management the Power Manager for Win7 (which some folks said it was the cure), and still no result. Anyone can help me?

1. TheRandomGuy

Try doing FN+F2...

2. TFent

I had the same problem. After much trial and error I fixed it. Go to your computers support web site. Search for download drivers easiest route.
    Once there enter your model info. Next, locate and download the latest BIOS upgrade. Next, install update. Do not touch anything while updating BIOS!!!!!!! After update is completed wifi and/or bluetooth should be working properly.
    I was ready to take my laptop in for repair until I found this fix. Very frustrating, and not much info on why it happened in the first place. I hope this helps anyone experiencing this wonderful event.

3. JB

I had this issue as well. The fix for me was to restore BIOS to default

download connectify
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-your-own-wi-fi-hotspot-with-connectify/
    install see if it will cure your wifi problem, if yes then uninstall connectify and see if wifi is cured permanently

5. MakeUseOf TechGuy

Silly question - but do you have a hardware switch for the Wifi? Most laptops have some kind of function key or switch on the side that will toggle Wifi on/off, and this will override Windows. Most likely you've just hit that.

• Pooky Joralyn

Man! It doesn't have any hardware switch whatsoever, other than Fn-F5 (which turns out to switch airplane mode instead)

6. Jonny Underwood

Go to http://www.sony.co.in/section/support to locate the Windows 8 driver downloads for your model PC.
    Download and install the following:
    -Sony Wireless State Device Driver
    -Wireless LAN driver (either Intel or Atheros, depending on which WLAN card you have in your particular VAIO PC)

Install these and reboot after each installation. It is important to select 'Restart' after each driver install, rather than selecting 'Shut down'. In Windows 8, shut down is actually a form of hibernation, and does not fully shut down & restart the notebook. If you select 'Restart', you should be fully shutting down and restarting after each driver is installed.

At that point, when Airplane mode is turned OFF, your WiFi should be on and working (not grayed out).

• Pooky Joralyn

Mine is Lenovo E49.

7. Jan Fritsch

Software side I can only link to an article dealing with a problem that sounds pretty much the same (I don't have Win 8 to look into it myself).
    http://martinbodocky.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/windows-8-wi-fi-issue-after-airplane-mode/

Other then that make sure any mechanical switch for your wireless connections is on. Most of the time WiFi isn't working is because people forget about the mechanical switch.

• Pooky Joralyn

That switch in Metro UI is simply grayed out.