Rawand R

Why is my webcam said to be occupied by another application and how can I get it to work?

09 Jan 2013
Windows 7
Firefox 17
09 Jan 2013 | Windows 7 | Firefox 17

When I try to set up or use the built-in camera in Skype or Yahoo, I get a message that the camera is occupied by another application. I get the same message when I try to use the Toshiba webcam application.

I looked thoroughly over the web and found no useful solutions. I reinstalled webcam driver, I uninstalled all instant messaging software, even uninstalled the pre-installed Windows Life bundle provided with the original OS (Windows 7 Home Premium).

The funny thing is that I tried to use the webcam log in feature by Toshiba, which enables to log into Windows after configuring the face image, and camera turned on and I was able to complete the configuration, which means that the hardware is OK, and it’s something wrong with the software on the PC. Does anyone have any clues?