Why is my USB not working on any computer?
Question by Taryn DeForest /

I was using my USB stick last night and I knew that I would need it at school today. I turned off my computer and pulled out my USB. When I went to school today, I plugged it in to the computer and it kept saying “USB Device Not Recognised.”

We tried it on 3 different laptops. When I got home, I turned on my computer and plugged in my USB. I got the same message. I tried all the different ports on my home computers. I got the same message every time.

My entire computer is backed up on my USB as well as my school stuff and I would really like to get all my files back. If downloading new software to fix this can be avoided, I would greatly appreciate it.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Jim Chambers

If you removed your USB drive before computer completed shutdown it is probably damaged. Most suppliers recommend that you safely eject USB drive before shutdown as its presence slows the shutdown process.

• Marc Carrion

There’s two possibilities: One is the usb is physically damaged due to any number of possibilities. The more likely possibility is the you forgot to safely remove it before actually removing it and it is damaged

• cracker pack

are you sure you ejected it last time you used it

• cracker pack

usb drive must be damaged

• Nikhil Chandak

It may be very old
    repair it
    or buy a new one

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Maybe it has bad sector. Or the lifespan has ended.

• Boni Oloff

There are many people do try to recover their flash disk with any way they can. But in my experience, it never success.

• josemon maliakal

YA..THATS CORRECT…it’s damaged

• Asriel Rusdyawan

Maybe some files in the USB had been Corrupted or the electricity around the computer had gone unstable..

• Eserpess der

I think it might be a hardware problem with one of the pins. I’m sorry but theirs nothing that you can do that I am aware of. Next time back up your computer on a spare drive and 2 USB’s….You should never have a problem again.