Why is my phone making calls via Google Voice?

Christine St Syr Griffin December 6, 2012

I noticed my on my Verizon voice call bill that calls are being made to and from my Google Voice number when I wasn’t using my phone. And I stopped using Google Voice 2 months ago. I kept the number and use it only to forward my voicemails to Gmail. The area codes are always different. Nothing shows up when I go to my Gmail account and Verizon doesn’t show the receipent of the calls out. How can I stop this from happening?

1. Christine St Syr Griffin

thanks everyone for your input, problem solved, I was getting confused because there were many minute delays between calls . basically my google voice was receiving my messages like I wanted but there would be 2-10 min. delays before I got message according to Verizon's breakdown sheet. so it would show say my friend Sheri calling me at 12:05 and than I would see my google voice number at say 12:11. anyways a big thanks for simplifying for me.
    christine

2. Justin Pot

When you get a text through Google Voice you get that text not from the user's number but a special number that routes through Google Voice. It's how Google Voice keeps track of messages you sent from your phone. Maybe you saved on of those numbers and have been calling it regularly?

• Christine St Syr Griffin

thanks Justin I always look for big problems and you simplified matters for me, problem solved
      thanks so much
      christine

ya your right, with three different gmail accts. it was a mess, cleaning up my mess and see what happens next, thank you for responding
    christine

perhaps hard reset can fix your problems, before make backup of your files.

thanks did the hard reset last week no luck with that unfortunately thank you so much for responding
      christine

Hello Christine,

When you install Google Voice on your mobile, there's a variety of ways that it integrates itself: First, if supported by your carrier, Google Voice can make itself your default mailbox. Second, if you install the app on your phone, it will make all calls using Google Voice.

The method it uses to operate as your mailbox and as your phone's default phone number, I think, requires some explanation:

The way GV dials another phone is by calling your phone from the GV servers in the Midwest. The GV servers are connected to the number you're trying to call and then it links the two calls together. It's all seamless and, to the casual observer, there's the appearance of a single, fluid telephone call.

At least, that's how I remember it functioning - forgive me for a lack in precision as there doesn't appear to be a lot of information on this subject available through Google. I can only recall so much.

There was a method of getting completely free calls on a budget plan using a billing rate called inner circle on some carriers. The plan allowed unlimited SMS and talking time to a small amount of phone numbers, which normally would be family members.

Because GV always called from the same number in the Midwest, the network would think GV was a friend - and therefore all your calls and SMS were free on a budget plan.

If it's forwarding to your GV account, then it's still handling your calls. You may want to uninstall the GV app or go to your GV account settings and simply remove it.

wow you write so eloquently, thank you I have been tweeking my settings and hoping for the best, thank you so much for giving me your time
      christine

6. Blake Andreasen

You probably still have the app on your phone, with the settings setup to make all calls through Google Voice.
    Fix: Open app change settings OR since you say you dont use Google Voice uninstall the app.

super simple solution, I'm on it, thanks ever so much
      christine