Why is my pen drive so slow?

Dipak Goudel May 29, 2013

My AData 16 GB pen drive receives data too slow. Why ? It takes maximum speed of 3 MB. Any idea to speed up my pen drive?

1. julien c

Is your thumb drive 3.0? Also if it is a new thumb drive with 3.0, is your computer limiting that. USB 2.0 connectors cannot use the USB 3.0 speeds of a USB 3.0 thumb drive.

2. Paul Vi

It all depends of the model of your pen drive and if it is usb 1.1, 2.0 or 3, what you can do is format the pen drive, also speed transfer depends of what kind of file your sending to your pen drive if you're transferring a big file the speed transfer will be faster but if you're transferring several small files the speed transfer will be low.

3. polycarp mj

the pen drive after a long use may tends to be slow due to damaged files and due to improper deletion of files ,it may be also due to viruses

tips to make the pen drive fast

# format your pen drives and do defragmantation and clean up

#If you have any virus ,disinfect it with antivirus software
    ( check this webpage :http://pctipsandtweaks.blogspot.in/2012/05/remove-viruses-from-usb-flash-drive.html)

4. Manuth Chek

Mine is having the same problem. It's a Transcend JetFlash V30 2GB. It's now very slow when I converted from NTFS to FAT32 (I made a Windows recovery drive back then) and now portable apps runs at a snail speed.

5. Tim Brookes

Did you have a look on the ADATA website? http://www.adata-group.com/product_all.html

They do not manufature USB 1.1 pen drives any more (and probably haven't for _years_) so you've either got an old model (which you might have had for a while) or you've bought a fake or repackaged older device. If it is an old pen drive it might be on its way out, Flash memory is pretty hardy but only has a finite number of read/write cycles. Damage from moisture and general wear and tear can also impact devices, though slow performance in unlikely to be caused by this (they generally die quick deaths).

I'd recommend purchasing a new USB 3.0 drive to replace it. You'll be future-proofing yourself somewhat against the next generation of devices as USB 3.0 is being rolled out on new hardware at the moment. Don't buy from retail/supermarket though, they charge a lot more than you should be paying. Instead buy online (depending where you are) from a reputable company (not eBay).

In addition to all the good points made above, it could be some other problem on your PC, or your antivirus...
    In fact, I'm just dealing with a laptop at the moment which was rather slow and when I tried to load some utilities from a (fast) USB flash drive onto it I found I had exactly the same problem as you. The problem was with the antivirus, and as soon as I removed it the flash drive's speed soared. I installed a new AV and it's still working just fine.

7. Brandon Ragoo

This article may give you an idea why http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/usb-speederror/

8. hamad3914

Possible cause could be an old USB port (i.e. not USB 2.0 or 3.0)

Try to plug it into a different computer and see if that works faster

9. Grr

the speed depends on 2 factors:
    1. ur USB model 2.0 or 3.0. Check what ur PC?system has and if it updated to the latest drivers.

2. if you have more than one or an aggressive security software, it is going to scan everything being copied to/fro the USB drive, hence an impact on the copy speed.

Try doing a complete format of the USB and give it a shot again.

10. Himanshu Singla

Check may with infected with some type of hidden files which must be acting as a virus.

Can you mention the model number of your ADATA USB drive ? If you do and see its specifications,you can have a look at maximum read/write speed.

12. DalSan M

Does the pen drive in question behave the same way in another USB port or computer? How large are the files? What format is the drive (FAT32, NTFS, etc.)? Does a different pen drive (if you have one or can borrow/purchase another) perform similarly? Sometimes a broken pin in the pen drive can cause this issue, essentially turning a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.0 device (had this happen before). Sometimes a heavily fragmented hard drive can cause slow transfer speeds. Low power or loose wire connection for the USB port can cause this issue as well. Giving more information can help reduce the scenarios and narrow down the actual possibilities.

Cheap USB or fake memory sticks tend to have cheap flash chips which are quite slow to access.

5 Apps to Check the Speed of Your USB Flash Drive (Windows)
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-lightweight-tools-to-check-the-speed-of-your-usb-flash-drive-windows/

Format your drive to NTFS
    Format a USB Drive & Use Disk Check Utility - Windows 7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7fNCcXQFU

Speed Up and Optimize USB Drive Speed Performance by Enabling Write Caching
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/speed-up-and-optimize-usb-drive-speed-performance-by-enabling-write-caching/

14. Milica Kuvalja

Or you've just bought a 1.1 version of a pen drive. Happened to me once. I assumed 8gb pen drive would be usb 2.0 but it wasn't :(

• Justin Pot

That's just brutal – I wasn't aware they even made 1.1 pen drives anymore...

Is your USB port ver 1.1 or ver 2 and above? If it is ver 1.1, the transfer rate would be slow. If it is ver 2 and above unplug all USB devices first. If you are in Category view in the Control Panel, go to Hardware and Sounds and then click on device manager under Devices and printers. Once Device Manager opens, you will see Universal Serial Bus Controllers at the bottom. Click on the arrow in front of it it and see if there are any red or yellow bang below in any of the entries for USB Universal Host Controllers, USB Root Hub or USB Composite device. Before you proceed, disconnect any USB device connected. Now if you see any bangs before USB Composite Device, then probably the device is not getting sensed properly and the appropriate drivers are not getting installed. Stay connected to the internet and right click on it and try Update Driver Software. However if you see any bangs before USB Universal Host Controllers or USB Root Hub, right click and uninstall them and restart your computer and wait for it to reinstall those. I was facing this problem once, what I did was to uninstall all the USB Universal Host Controllers and USB Root Hub, then restarted the computer and let it build the whole list afresh. It resolved my problem. Also check the USB version of the port. USB2 or 3 should not have problem in supplying enough power to the devices, but USB 1.1 sometimes may not be adequate to provide enough power to the modern devices.