Why is my new external hard drive not recognized by either my DVD player or my PS3?

Tori Jane April 6, 2013

Just got a Seagate Portable Expansion Drive, and it works fine on the computer. But when I connect it to my Panasonic DVD player (which played my old hard drive, and USB sticks) it comes up with an error message. When I connect it to my PS3 (which also played the above), it doesn’t even show up. Help?

1. vishal

it is not compatible with old things

2. Chris Marcoe

Are the right drivers installed in the other 2 machines? The computer will probably do it automatically. but the PS3 and DVD might not...

3. Jan Fritsch

What is the error message?

Without knowing more my first guess would be that your hard drive is formatted in NTFS which is not supported by the PS3 and most likely not by your DVD Player.
    You will have to backup it's content and format it in FAT32 or exFAT (might not be supported either) before you can use it.

perhaps your Panasonic DVD player and PS3 do not recognize large size hard drives
    try hard drive as FAT32
    How to Format a Seagate GoFlex for a PS3
    http://www.ehow.com/how_11399360_format-seagate-goflex-ps3.html

also be sure PS3 is on latest firmware

• Chris Marcoe

Why would he need to learn how to format a new HDD?

just a guide if Tori Jane tries windows disk management to do FAT32, sometime takes longer time compared to another software freeware or shareware.