Why is my newly upgraded AMD APU processor not as fast as I thought it would be?

Henrique GuimarĂ£es April 5, 2013

Hey there! I just bought a new AMD processor (A8 3870k APU) and it was my expectation that my PC should be a lot faster and games should run at an even higher FPS. For example: Minecraft with my old CPU (AMD A4 512kb) reached just 30 to 40 FPS and with the new processor it only reaches 50 to 70 FPS when it should run at more than 200 FPS.

Besides some problems I have with other games, the difference isn’t much. And the evaluation at the system menu hasn’t even changed. Do I need drivers? Is there anything else I can do? Were my expectations too high?

I appreciate your help.

1. Chris Marcoe

Can't tell what the problem is without knowing if you have a discrete card with the A8. Also, why not go with the A10? (Because of the FM1 vs FM2 slot?)

2. Jan Fritsch

I was about to ask the same question Alan did.

You bought a sub $150 CPU which is about the same you pay for an Intel Core i3. Frankly, I haven't looked into AMD CPU's for a while but a Core i3 is not something I would put in a gaming system even on a low budget.

Minecraft is not a standard or benchmark you should base your opinion on. Minecraft uses Java which is far from being efficient in using hardware. Even things like changing the window size, monitor resolution or monitor size will have a noticeable impact on your frame rate.

As for other games we are back to the question whether you have a dedicated graphics card or not. If you have you are probably limited by your CPU performance. If you don't than I'm afraid to say that the APU doesn't really offer much performance even on low quality.

Nobody has asked so I will, what speed did you expect from it as a minimum?

AMD A8-3870k APU benchmarked, with and without 6670 dual graphics.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1274862/amd-a8-3870k-apu-benchmarked-with-and-without-6670-dual-graphics

AMD A8-3870K
    If you have a discrete video card installed, the APU will by default function as the boot-up video adapter, meaning any displays connected to a video card won't work until Windows loads the proper video drivers.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398957,00.asp

6. Chris

The APUs split the processing memory so that your processing speed is what is limiting your FPS. Also, Bruce Epper's question is valid. If you go from a discrete GPU with the A4, to an A* without a discrete GPU, that is going to make the change that much less.

Also, the human eye can't register more than about 36FPS. Anything over that is overkill.

7. DalSan M

Much of the performance issue can be from the memory speed and/or if it is in dual channel mode. Recommended for better performance is 1866+MHz in dual channel mode. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2106/7/

For drivers, I would see if there are any updates by going to the AMD website. Some updates help improve gaming performance through optimizations. You can use Brazos Tweaker to try to overclock the processor some, though be careful how high as it will heat up quickly and higher, in which a good cooling system would be necessary. It would also be possible to overclock the GPU clock speed through Brazos Tweaker.

8. Robbie

well if your graphic card is an nvidia then it will not work as good as it should be as with other cpu, as APU are made to work with Radeon cards ,its different if it is FX series or older AMD cpu's

Are you using the APU alone or do you have another graphics adapter installed? If you are using another adapter that is not in the AMD Radeon HD 6000 series (and even a few that are), it will shut down the embedded graphics cores on the APU and your performance numbers may suffer.