Why is my new SD card no longer working and how can I fix it?

Scriptures Mansoh March 30, 2013

I have a 16 GB SD card that I bought three weeks ago, but now it is not working.

I was restarting my computer and after it restarted, I lost my data on the card, I pulled it. Not during boot, but the computer didn’t recognise it. I fix it in my phone, but the phone was unable to find it. What must I do?

1. Mark mohan

With the help of SD Card Recovery tool,You can very easily recover or repair a corrupted sd card.There are several software available for this task and one them is Kernel for Windows Data Software which not only repair a corrupted hard disk but also repair a corrupted SD Card without any hassle.

2. reha andrew

Hey! try a free SD card recovery program to recover your data. You will get this software online.

3. Chadi El Haj

On the actual card, make sure that the "locked-switch" is in the middle. The "lock-switch" is the sliding tab on the side (mine is on the left side) of the micro SD card. The dial should be in the exact middle, or as close to the middle as possible, or the card will read something along the lines of "This data card in encrypted," when inserting the chip into the computer.

4. Rohit Pandey

format it in a linux system if their is any solvable problem.it will get solved.....

5. maria cater

check the computer management, if the card is shown,you can format it,

if the lost data is important, u can recover the data with 3rd party minitool data recovery software.

6. Paul Pruitt

Hopefully you can still see a drive letter. If not you might need to send it to a company like Kroll Ontrack, for recovery of the data. The process is very expensive.

See this article here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-recover-data-from-a-corrupt-memory-card-or-usb-drive/

1. Find the native command app, usually at C:WindowsSystem32cmd.exe.
    2. Right click on it and choose: "Start As Administrator".
    3. Type in Chkdsk E: /r, where E: is your memory card's drive letter. Of course it could be F:, G: etc.

See what happens.

7. prashanth singh rathore

one of the best tools made specifically for memory cards is the following:
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
    Give it a try and let us know if it works

8. julien c

Put it in your computer, or even a camera. 1 Computer) Just go under computer and format it 2 Camera) Put it in your camera...go under the menu and find format and format the card. (Camera only works with sdhc...not sure if you have that or just an sd card

Start with a partition recovery program, such as that suggested by ha14, or a data recovery program like Piriform's Recuva. Once you've done that, re-partition and reformat the card. If you can't "see" it to repartition it, take it back to the shop!

try to see if linux or mac will recognize your sd card

see if EaseUS® Partition Master 9.2.1 Home Edition will see it
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

"I fix it in my phone, but the phone was unable to find it."

Can you be a little clearer on that comment?

I think you need to accept that any data that was on your card is now gone.
    Put it back into your computer and if you can see it then format the card.
    If you cant, then check in computer management if the card is shown.

12. Michael Heffner

I would try putting it back into the computer. It may come up and say it needs to be formatted. If the data is already gone, let it format it and that may take care of it.