Why is my monitor not working with my PC although the hardware is OK?

Jonathan Herpst March 4, 2013

I am having problems with my PC, the monitor is not receiving a signal from my PC. I have used the monitor on another PC and it works fine. I don’t have an on board VGA port, so I use a video card in order to connect to a monitor. I have tested the video card and it works fine.

I was getting a signal after the PC started up, but then the screen would go blank and I wouldn’t be able to get the signal back at all. As of right now when I push the power button the monitor doesn’t react at all.

I have tested the hard drive on a different PC and it works fine. I have taken the CMOS battery out and put it back in just in case it was a bios issue to reset it. I have removed the hard drive and still don’t get a visual of bios.

Any suggestions would be a big help thank you

PC Specs:
Motherboard: Asus M4A79T Deluxe
8 GB DDR3 RAM patriot
Radeon HD 5450 1 GB
AMD Phenon2 3.0ghz quad core

1. dragonmouth

If you are getting a momentary signal to your monitor it is as Oron Joffe suggested. The resolution for your video card is set too high for the monitor to handle. Boot into Safe Mode, change the resolution to 800x600 just to get a picture, save the settings, then reboot. Once you are in Windows, you can increase the resolution to 1024x768, 1280x1024. At each change Windows will ask you if you want to keep the resolution or revert back. If one of the changes results in a black screen, don't panic. Windows will automatically restore your last working resolution after 15 seconds.

2. EL

Try another computer, try another monitor, try another cable. IE: make sure each piece works with other hardware.

When you tested monitor on another computer did you disconnect cable at monitor and plug it in to cable on other computer, If so, check for a bent pin in connectors of monitor's original cable.

4. Jan Fritsch

This seems redundant but make sure that all cables are properly connected, that includes the power cable to the monitor and the graphics connector on both, the monitor and the graphics card.

The primary things to do have already been mentioned:
    - try booting in safe mode and change the resolution (e.g. 800x600@60Hz)
    - try a different monitor on the computer you are having troubles with
    - make sure the graphics card is well seated and any additional power connectors are connected
    - make sure your PSU supplies enough power

If your graphics card has more than one output try using the second one. If you are currently using an adapter e.g. VGA to DVI try another one or better none at all.
    Adding to this I suggest to uninstall and re-install the (64bit) graphics driver from the manufacturers homepage.
    Uninstall or disable any graphics tools like RivaTuner, Afterburner, PowerStrip, RefreshFix etc.

5. Justin Pot

Here's a question: does the computer work with another monitor? If not, the problem is simply your computer. Possibly the graphics card. If so...weird.

6. Imesh Chandrasiri

check whether the vga card needs additional power or your mother board needs power. In modern M/Bs there is a four pin connector near the cpu. If that is not connected or the necessary power is not supplied, the system will boot without the display. ( I assume that the power needed for GPU unit is drawn by this ) check this is good and make sure that there are no bios settings that needs you to select the external vga.

Try a known working cable, that would be my first port of call given your circumstances.

8. ferdinan Sitohang

i think the problem is about the resolution, make sure your monitor is support for the resolution of the video card. You can try by setting the video to use 800x600 resolution for a while, then you can adjust it to your monitor capability.

With some monitors, this can happen is the screen resolution is too high (or the refresh rate is too high for CRT screens). Most screes will show a warning, but not all. To test this, restart and enter safe mode (press F8 before Windows starts), and see if you get the normal screen. If it works change the display resolution in safe more and restart normally.

Also, check the display settings in the BIOS. In computers with built-in graphics, it often happens that the primary screen is set to the wrong card (built-in rather than slot, or vice versa), and those options sometimes exist even on motherboards that do not have built-in graphics!

perhaps you need additional power?

if the monitor works on another pc, then perhaps something wrong with the motherboard? check also your video card on another pc.