Why is my memory card no longer recognized properly?

Anonymous September 20, 2013

I have had this camera for almost a year now and the memory card as well. I use it all the time and have never had an issue. Today, all of a sudden, my computer says that I “need to format disk F before I can use it”. When I try to format, it won’t let me! I have tried the card in another computer with the same result, but I also tried another disk, in my same computer with the same message, yet when I use it on the other computer, there are no problems. I am at a loss.

1. Renae C

I did, and the problem was the same. I finally connected my camera via the USB port (bypassing the memory card) and I am able to download pictures that way. It will be a pain, but at least it will work!

great that you finally got your pictures from the memory card, but it is weird that no other USB drive or memory card works except your camera with USB port? did you check all USB ports on your pc even the rear ones?

2. Renae C

I am thinking it must be a computer issue. The only thing that I have done differently than usual is to run a cd in the cd-rom that wouldn't play in the DVD player. Could that cause these kinds of issues? Seems weird.

have you tried to insert a usb key or another memory card, just to check if the problem arrise again

Have you tried a) reformatting the memory card in the camera? and b) using the second memory card in the camera?
    After you try these, you would have a better idea of the state of play regarding both memory cards and the computer (and I suppose, the camera as well). It is not unknown for multiple components to fail at the same time, or for a component to fail part way.

• Renae C

I am able to reformat the disk in the camera, and it works in the camera, but when I put it back in the computer, I get the same error message. After putting in the camera afterwards, I get memory card error again.

4. Renae C

When I reboot, Drive F is back, and the problem persists

• Renae C

None of those things works. I am apprehensive about downloading software form the internet. Also, I am not starting to think it is a computer issue, as my camera reformats my disk in about 3 seconds, with no problem. :/

1) insert your memory card
    2) open device manager and locate the driver
    3) right click on it and choose uninstall
    4) reboot pc

• Renae C

I uninstalled drive F, but when I reboot, it is back with the same problem as before.

1. Go to run and enter [diskmgmt.msc] and hit [enter] to open the Disk Management interface in Windows 7.
      3. Select your memory card drive .
      4. Right Click on that Drive and Select “Change Drive Letter and Paths”
      5. Assign a drive letter to the memory card.
      6.Unplug and replug

Click Start and then Run. Type cmd right click on it and choose run as administrator. On the black screenType the following:
      1)chkdsk [sd card drive letter] /r
      this will Scan for and attempt Recovery of bad sectorsor
      2) or tpe: chkdsk [sd card drive letter] /f
      this will Automatically Fix file system errors on the disk

if you do not need the files try to format
      EaseUS® Partition Master Free
      http://www.partition-tool.com/?gclid=CM-M3o6b2rkCFUXJtAodvW8AvA
      1) Open EaseUS® Partition Master right click on your memory card drive and select Create partition.
      2) In the interface If you use the drive only in Windows, use NTFS else FAT32.
      3) Click OK then click on Apply