Why is my laptop so loud and how can I fix it?

Sed Dickerson January 18, 2013

The cooling fan on my laptop as of late has caused it to become very loud. While this is not a problem when I am at home, when I take it into public places, especially the library, people start to notice and sometimes comment on the noise.

A friend of mine told me to take off the back panels and used can air to clean out the vents. I have done so, but the computer is just as loud as ever. Any ideas on what else I can try?

1. reha andrew

I would suggest you to consult a data recovery specialist because these unwanted sound are symptoms of hard drive failure. So, don't take any chance if your data your data is very important for you.

2. Ahmed Musani

try getting your laptop serviced. it might be because of the dust that entered inside.

If your laptop is old and is working except the fan,which you have mentioned,then it would be worthy for you to replace it with newer ones.Even though applying a lubricant like material to its bearings can help it but it might be more costly than the fan itself.

4. shabeer mk

re install audio driver

5. Saurav Azad

red the article from makeuseof.com
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-silence-noisy-laptop-fan/ and if stil dosent work out then refer to a technician

6. Mihovil Pletikos

probably you need to clean the dust that has been gathered around fan exhaust

perhaps to consider changing the fan.

5 Things You Can Do To Silence A Noisy Laptop Fan

update BIOS

• Paul Pruitt

Awesome article.