Why is my laptop shutting down suddenly?

October 23, 2013

Hi all, am using Dell Inspiron 15R with 3rd Generation i7 processor with 4GB Ram 1 GB graphics card and 1TB Hard Disk. For the last few days while working on laptop or using it, it would suddenly shut down without any error message or any information. Again, when I start it works fine for some time and again gets off suddenly as power goes off . Also there is no issue of blue screen or error message. I’ve purchased this in last year September. I am so worried about it and don’t know what to do. Please give me suggestions and help me.

Firstly,open your laptop(if you are comfortable)and check if there are excessive amount of dusts clogged up.If yes,then carefully clean them using canned air,soft brush without damaging or loosening the connections.Also,check and clean the CPU fan.

Now,since,your battery is not giving backup in case of power failure,try recharging it fully,allow it to cool down and then try powering up your laptop without any wall power connection to see whether it's working or not.

See the below video which shows how to disassemble and then assemble back your laptop -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YXGa5rTw1o

If you want more help,you can have a look at DIY instructions linked below -

http://blog.parts-people.com/category/dell-inspiron-repair-manuals/

2. Giuseppe C

Hello, may you tell us if before the shutdown your laptop show signs as: fun start to spin quicker, temperature growing and so on.
    If so there are some possible reasons: driver issue, application incompatibility.
    You may simply reconstruct the history of your laptop in the last few days in terms of software and hardware installed; so to uninstall all of the suspicious reasons of the shutdown.
    If none of the above will fix try to contact the dell chat support and follow without loosing your patience their advises.
    I happen something similar to an HP laptop and after 6/7 months of chat support (reinstaled windows OS with their DVD, graphic card driver updates and so on) they changed it with a new model with similar features.
    Here is my old laptop I took as it shutdowned: http://cyphersnap.blogspot.it/2012/04/video-here-is-taked-when-notebook-shut.html

Regards,

Giuseppe

3. Jesse M

It could probably be it is overheating. Mine shuts off suddenly when It's been running for some quite of hours and the underneath is almost very hot temperature.

4. jeromewankel

I think it because of overheating or a bad charger. If the laptop is overheating, it will shut down by itself to ensure it doesn't burn any hardware. If the charger is bad, then it does that because it is defective. Better you can contact your dell customer support to solve this issue.

I would suggest you contact Dell immediately for advice. Although your computer is (possibly) outside the manufacturer's warranty period, it has only just reached that point, and Dell may well be willing to advise you free of charge, if not to make the actual repair.
    Additionally, in the EU, they would be a legal obligation to repair the laptop if faulty (regardless of the stated warranty period) since the European directive on consumer rights means that the vendor (in this case, Dell) is responsible for the goods working "for a reasonable amount of time", which in the case of computers is usually interpreted as 2-3 years.

1) Disconnect any external peripherals.
    2) Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
    3) Reconnect the power supply. See if this can help.

which version of windows you have, is your system overheating?
    try to reset cmos battery and update BIOS