Why is my laptop hot, slow, crashing and throwing errors and how can I fix it?

Yvette R August 18, 2013

Editor’s Note: Question edited for readability.

My laptop gets a “high CPU” (sic) sign that comes on occasionally. The laptop is loud, it starts to get hot and has been crashing a lot with a “not responding” error and sometimes it loads really slow or not at all.

What could be causing this trouble? What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Help, please! I’m lost.

1. Dave R

Get your self a can of compressed air, turn the laptop over unscrew the screws to each compartment and give them a good blast with the air mainly the motherboard/fan area.

Hello, it is very important that the fan inside computer get clean/dusted. If it is not done, the laptop can suffer extreme damage.

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a decent computer shop so that they can do it for you. There are also sites where you can get the instructions about how to go about opening/cleaning the computer.

Keep in mind that if you decide to do it yourself, you might void the guarantee if still available. If you provide the model/manufacturer of laptop, I could post a link for you to follow if interested.

3. Jim C

Also make sure to use laptop on a flat hard surface so bottom vents aren't blocked. If you must use it on a soft irregular surface such as your lap, put it on a flat tray.

Your laptop needs to be cleaned.Dust is a reason for overheating.Also,change the thermal component of processor to Artic Silver 5 for better cooling.If still it makes noise,then you would need to replace the fan.

fan problem?

How To Fix An Overheating Laptop
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-overheating-laptop/

There could be dust or debris clogging the vents and CPU fan, which would cause the louder fan noise and high heat. The loud fan noise could be a sign that the bearings are failing, and with the heat being so high for so long, the thermal paste used between the CPU and heatsink may have deteriorated and is not working to help dissipate the heat as well. I would get a can of compressed air made for electronics (found at any computer or office supply store) and spray it into the vents (at a distance of 6-8 inches) to see if it can clear some of the dust and debris. This may help some of the issue, but you may want to take it in to a shop and have them check the CPU fan and reapply some thermal paste. If you are adventurous and think you can do it yourself, you can take the laptop apart to get to the CPU fan and heatsink, clean them out carefully, and apply a thin layer of new thermal paste to the CPU. If you wish to try it yourself, Google search "(your laptop model) service manual", without quotes, in order to have instructions to take your laptop apart. I would highly recommend searching YouTube or other video sharing website to find a tutorial on how to take apart a laptop and another tutorial to clean the fan and heatsink and reapply thermal paste. Either way, I would take care of this as soon as possible before any permanent damage occurs, resulting in either costly repairs or needing to purchase a new laptop.

If you need more help, please post the laptop model so we are able to find more information for you.