Why is my HP TouchPad sluggish and what can I do about it?

George Gabriel November 17, 2012

I have Preware on my tablet and haveĀ suppressedĀ the logging/reporting. I have the tablet running at 1.7Ghz on both cores. Recently when I use the advanced web browser, streaming Pandora, the browser is really slow to respond. When I minimize it to a card instead of immediately snapping down, it is very sluggish.

Any thoughts? Does the TouchPad need to be wiped and reloaded occasionally like a PC does?

Hello George,

The OC settings you've used should definitely make your tablet feel zippy, not slow. My personal preference is to only OC if you're using an undervolted kernel, since it offsets much of the added heat increase. Anyway, My three best guesses as to what's wrong would be: (1) improper flash procedure (2) rogue app causing slowdown (3) I/O cache problems.

Regarding the first issue, it's possible to improperly flash a custom ROM, through means such as not wiping the Dalvik Cache or the regular cache prior to flashing. The best way to solve a cache issue is through performing a clean install for each time you flash a ROM.

In fact, a clean install solves (3) a potential I/O issue caused by a cache problem.

If you can, try a clean install or restoring a backup. A clean install means doing a cache wipe/dalvik cache wipe combined with reflashing the ROM. Some custom ROM builds require that you return to stock before flashing a custom ROM, although I don't think CyanogenMod9 on the TouchPad requires that.

Regarding (2), potential rogue apps, the best thing anyone can do to help their device's performance is to use as few apps as possible, as each additional app that you install contributes to overall system slowness and on occasion, you get a really bad app that is constantly using GPS or data.

There's a variety of analysis tools that can be used to diagnose the permissions that your apps require and their startup behaviors. My favorite is Autorun Manager, which, if you're using the free version, can be used as a highly effective analysis tool. Generally speaking, apps that autostart and stay running in the background aren't worth having, unless they're critically important, like Google Maps.

• Kannon Y

I just realized a mistake in my post here - a clean install requires a full data wipe from within ClockWorkMod Recovery.

For comparison, a dirty install includes relic components from a previous ROM which can interfere with the smooth functioning of your tablet.

A clean install basically wipes these potential bugbears - which is why every ROM designer suggests doing so before flashing a new ROM.

• GMMan

Hi Kannon,

You are targeting the wrong OS. The device in question is running webOS, not Android. That is further supported by the presence of Preware, which is a webOS package manager, and is not available on Android.

• Kannon Y

My apologies - another person named George had a problem with the TouchPad, except he had installed CyanogenMod, the same day.

I'm definitely not an expert on WebOS, but I would reiterate my suggestion that it could be a cache problem. Try wiping your browser cache.

2. GMMan
  3. GMMan

Whoa, people, hold your horses. Let's try finding the cause instead of nuking the operating system.

I remember seeing this on webOS Nation. I'll answer there.

Try CM9 on your touchpad ... Its a half hour trouble but you will thank yourself later. Check xda-developers for instructions

• Boni Oloff

I think he should try the webOS too.