Why is my HP Pavilion dv6 slow when on battery power?
Question by shegzy4 /

Whenever my laptop is charging everything runs normal and fast, but when I remove the charger everything becomes slow, why?

• Serge Garcia

Instead of just changing your settings between HighPerformance, Balanced and Power Saving, I highly recomend you create a new power scheme according to your needs. For example.

When I am downloading something from the internet, I created a new power scheme called “Ultra power saving”. One of the features of it was that it never went to sleep, no matter how many hours passed. Another was that the maximum processor speed would be 20%, to allow maximum power saving over night, as well as a screen turn off after 1 minute being idle.

If you dont want your computer to be slowed down, change the settings of the scheme you are using. Simply open your power schemes window, then go to change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > and scroll down to Processor power management.

On the Maximum processor state, a lower % will mean a higher energy saving, but lower speed, and vice versa. For example. My HP Pavilion G6 has an average battery life of 1 hour and 20 minutes if on maximum performance while gaming and the graphics card is active. On the other hand, while in power saving mode, with a maximum procesor state of 35% instead of 100%, and all settings on maximum battery saving, the battery lasts for 4 hours and 50 minutes. I hope this helped

• Ahmed Musani

change your power plan to balanced if you are using windows 7/ vista.

• Alex Perkins

It is probably a power saving feature, go to the bottom right of the screen, right click the battery icon, click power options, and see if it’s on power saver or something similar. If it is then you could select high performance, this should remove the restrictions on the CPU slowing things down. Keep in mind though that having the laptop on high performance while on battery will reduce the amount of time you can run the system on battery power before having to plug in.

• shegzy4 piddy

thanks Jan, Tech and ha for your answers.., its really helpful

perhaps It undervolts the cpu (clocks the CPU down) and lowers the brightness of the LCD screen.

• Tech geek

Your laptop goes on Power Savings mode when you unplug the charger from the battery

So it reduces usages to minimum saving maximum power

Nothing to worry about

If you have Windows 7 or Vista just change your plan to Balanced from Power saver

• shegzy4 piddy

thanks for you info but still as the same., i changed it balance power plan and restored it but still slow when i unplug the charger., and when i put the charger in., its runs fast and normal.

• shegzy4 piddy

i noticed the higher my contrast the higher it works great., and if my contrast is slow the laptop works slowly (without charging) why is it so?

• Jan Fritsch

My first guess would be the power plan settings of Windows being set to “power saver” or some custom preset the limits the CPU to a low frequency when on battery.

So I would suggest to go into the Power settings, set it to balanced and just to be sure click on “change plan settings” and then “restore plan defaults”.
    “Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options”

Keep in mind that changing this setting may shorten the time your system can run on battery.

• shegzy4 piddy

i noticed it works on high performance very good without charging., but there is a note that it might reduce battery life