Why is my HP laptop caught in a loop of booting to the splash screen and rebooting?

Donald S April 26, 2013

I have an HP laptop that is looping from the HP splash screen. Meaning, it boots to the splash screen, reboots gets to the splash screen, reboots etc.

I think that my HD is corrupted or at least the boot sector is. Am I correct on this or could it be something else.

1. Donald S

This question should be closed, I have tried many times to close it. The problem was the hard drive, a known issue for that model. Thanks for the help to everyone posted here.

2. Kevin Keenon

If you have anything plugged into a USB port remove it and try to boot. I had a bad USB hub cause this same problem.

3. yudics

try to set default setting to your bios

4. Md Mukhtar Mohsin

if you have made a windows 7 repair disk then boot from it .if not then ask a friend with windows 7 to make a repair disk from start> maintenance>create a repair disk.
    then boot from it, select windows startup repair,if it becomes ok then all ok else select system restore which restore your pc without touching your personal files.
    I have also faced this situation.

personal question-which country do you belong?

5. Techgredients

do the following procedure and you will be done...

Step1 : boot your pc with safe mode with command prompt

Step 2 : On command prompt, write "taskmgr.exe"

Step 3: click on new task from the bottom right corner of taskmgr.exe

Step 4: Then write "msconfig" and click ok.

Step 5 : Go to "Startup" tab

Step 6 : Click on "Disable all"

Step 7 : Click ok and restart your pc

This should help you out or you can reach me at info at techgredients dot com

• Donald S

Cannot boot into Safe Mode

Its BSODing followed by the windows default auto-reboot on error. Repeatedly click on F8 during splash screen and select No auto-reboot on error from advanced menu that appears and Enter. Get stop error from blue screen and tell us what it is so we can help.

• Donald S

No blue screen of death just loop over and over and over without any type of stop screen

• Jim Chambers

This early in boot-up, blue screen/restart happens so fast you won't see blue screen. At least try my suggestion.

Have you installed or updated software, especailly device drivers before this began happening? If not, you may have a problem with a piece of hardware in the system.

If your boot sector was corrupted, you would not make it to the spash screen.

When booting into Safe Mode, it displays the drivers as they are loaded. What is the last driver file listed when you try this? The problem will either be with that driver (or the device it supports) or the one that loads after it.

• Donald S

Cannot boot into Safe Mode.

8. dragonmouth

Your hard drive might be corrupted.

• Donald S

Close dragonmouth, my friend checked it out and found that it was the system board. He found that that model of HP has this common problem.

which windows you have?

try to reset cmos battery, check the ram and cables.

Laptop must have restor factory settings if you need to reinstall windows,

• Donald S

It has Windows 7. I cannot boot into safe mode the only thing I can get into is bios. I think the cmos is okay because the time and date are right in the bios.

how about booting with LIve cd, just to see if it is not monitor problem.