Why is my Gmail Priority Inbox not recognizing mail I am marking as important?

Bill Austin January 13, 2013

I am using the Priority Inbox. So far so good and most everything seems to be working great. I use the tagging system as mail comes in to designate if it’s important or not. And as new mail comes in that seems to work, except this one email.

It keeps going to not important and I want it in important. Every time it comes in I mark it as important with the checkbox tag, but the next day (it’s a daily notice), it’s back in unimportant again.

I even did a search and found every past email from this sender/daily reminder email and marked everyone of them as important, but tomorrow’s still comes in as everything else vs important.

All of my other mail seems to filter in from my choices. As time passes it’s gotten really nice to use. Just this one is baffling me as each day I mark it as important, but the next day it’s in unimportant. Probably just something I am not doing right, but was hoping for some insight or ideas?

1. Bill Austin

Thanks guys for whatever reason it just wasn't "taking" like other emails do as i mark them but I will create that filter I am sure that will work :)

Bill

I second Rob's explanation. However, you can easily work around this by creating a filter (More=>Filter messages like these) to identify the messages, and to mark them as important ("Always mark it as important" in the second screen of the filter wizard).

3. Rob Hindle

Google's "important" detecting algorithm must be finding the incoming email too different from prior ones. Just why is not possible to say without seeing example emails.
    You may be able to set up a filter which "sees" a unique identifier in the emails and marks as important. Go to Settings>Filters