Why is my disk space shrinking and can you help me remove duplicate files?

Eden Wendy Tebaia December 27, 2012

Hi, can someone help or link to some freeware that can track duplicate files on a hard drive? When I start browsing the Web I noticed my hard drive has about 16GB free but after few hours my hard drive only has 46.8MB of space. I have been deleting some files and movies from my hard drive and after one day I found that my hard drive space is getting shorter.

Can you assist how to solve this problem?

1. binaryman

Run Directory Report in Administrator mode
    There might be a backup program making copies without you knowing it

2. garva sharma

advance system care is the best utility for remove duplicates from your computer

3. Dragonmouth

Unless each time you go on the Web you download many movies 16 gigabytes of space should not be used up in a few hours. Temporary and duplicate files will not exhaust space that quickly either. There must be another problem.

Couple of posters suggested deleting old System Restore Points. It is a good suggestion because those files can be big.. I would also check how often the Restore Points are created. You may be creating a Restore Point once every minute which would exhaust your disk space very quickly.

The most convenient way to get rid of unneeded system files is to use Disk Cleanup function as Lisa has suggested. But FIRST check the frequency of Restore Point generation.

4. Etech Etech

I use CCleaner to remove temp/junk files. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

And SpaceSniffer to see which files are eating up disk space. http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1594

To remove duplicate pictures, I like Dup Detector. http://www.prismaticsoftware.com/dupdetector/dupdetector.html

For other types of duplicate files, I use DoubleKiller. http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

You should probably also defragment your hard drive after all that. You can use the built in tool, or try Defraggler http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

5. Tech Nech

Try using disk clean up, deleting temporary files and deleting the previous versions if you have that activated. Hope it will resolve the problem!

6. Robbie Blowe

try glary utilities http://www.glarysoft.com/- its free very good software that can do all maintenance works in one simple click or ou can scan and find out and delete duplicate files and empty folders and unwanted data and even clean your registry, i have been using it for years now and it never failed me, try it ,im sure your problem can be solved

hope it helped

7. Justin Ellenwood

I will give you a few apps to use. They all do things a bit different but they all work great.

System Ninja: No install required

Slim Cleaner: Looks great, cloud based reviews of files

Purera: No install required. It also removes all the install files that windows downloads when you do windows update. They are not needed

8. Andrew Newey

Use DiskBoss to identify and delete/manage duplicate files on your filesystem. I use it and it is free and works a treat. Good luck.

9. Aditya Roy

For removing duplicate files use 'Duplicate File Finder'

Considering the Disappearance of free space rapidly, I doubt on some virus or worm which usually takes up all the free space on system by replicating itself. I would suggest scanning your entire hard drive with a good anti-virus first.

11. Gjergji Kokushta

This may not be relevant, but just curious: Are you using Avast antivirus? If yes, I had this episode, Avast would start and create some memory dump files around 400MB each and counting. I noticed that disconnecting from internet would stop the dumps creation. In my case I didn't find any solution, plus my system was unstable and lots of other issues. I end up formatting my computer, but I guess, uninstalling and installing a fresh Avast would fix the problem.

12. Cobus Struwig

Best free duplicate cleaner in my opinion is Digital Volcano's Duplicate Cleaner Free

If you have lots of temporary files on you operating system drive, give CCleaner a try.

Please remember, that if you are not sure what you are deleting, rather not delete it until you are sure.

13. Bichoy

Limit Chrome cache size and delete old chrome releases as described here:

14. Vinh

You might find Folder Size by RoteBetaSoftware useful. It's a software that will show folder sizes of your partitions. This will allow you to easily find space hoggers and delete them accordingly.

Hello, another tool you could use to see where your space is being used is the following:

It will show you entire contents of your directories as well as tell you what kind of extensions those files have. If it is a matter of space being taken by temporary files by several programs or windows itself, you can use something like:

glary utilities:

Make sure not to use any of the registry cleaners available with either of the software above. Also it would not be a bad idea to give your system a complete scan with your antivirus of choice.

16. Rohit Jhawer

There could be one reason i think is causing the problem. Try to delete old system restore points and windows update backup. These take up lots of space. You can do this using ccleaner. Open ccleaner -> Tools -> System Restore, here delete old system restore points. You should get enough space.

It sounds a lot like Windows is creating restore points which it couldn't before because of the free space shortage.

I would definitely give CCleaner a go to free up all "garbage" that piled up in temporary folders and such.

Once that it is done you'll have to see what your actual free space is.

If you are still rather short use TreeSize or a similar tool as ha14 suggested to see where the space is actually going.

18. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Use Disk Cleanup function built into Windows by right clicking the drive>properties>disk cleanup. Then you might also use CCleaner to clean the temporary files. If your drive space shrinks so suddenly, you might accidentally make copies of large files. These portable freeware DirComp(http://kolmck.net/apps/DirComp.zip) and DoubleKiller (http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/download.htm) are good enough.

19. pp potana

Use Ccleaner to delete temporary files....this will free lots of space and some times in GB's

20. Yiz Borol

make sure that when you delete things they're deleted from the trash as well, until you've permanently deleted a file it still takes up space on your hard disk.
    To completely get rid of a file you can do one of two things:
    1) Hold down shift when you click delete, this will ask you if you're sure you want to "permanently delete" the file. you click yes, its gone forever, avoiding your recycle bin.
    2a) if a file is in your recycle bin just delete if from there and it's gone.
    2b) You can also "empty the trash" (right click the recycle bin icon on your desktop) this empties your recycle bin.

you can try deleting temperory file by go to RUN type %temp%
    and you will see a folder delete everything there they are just garbage file some files cant be delete as they are in use You can free from MB to GB space !!
    also you can try tune up utilities or advanced system care they had a CLONED file scanner which will scan you hardisk for duplicate files

use treesize free to see while are the biggest files on your hard drive.

23. Michael Teague

thanks, you help me too

24. Devendra Meena

Delete your files with any shadder
    Like TUneUp 2013 :)

Or Clear you cookies and temp foler :

25. Effendi Chung

This happens to me once, but not to the point of losing nearly 16 GB, might try using the disk cleanup, its available on your own pc, at Start/accessories/system tools/diskcleanup.

• Devendra Kumar

Effendi Have you own website or blog.