Why is my 32GB micro SD card no longer recognized?

Manny Diaz May 12, 2013

My Sandisk ultra 32GB micro disk card is not being read by any phone I put it in, but at times it reads for a period of time then states no SD card detected.

1. John

I wonder if there's a batch of bad SanDisk 32 gb micro sd cards....

• Adam

Mine is a SanDisk 32gb; it used to work on my HP Envy Spectre XT (I use this SD card for my GoPro silver ed). It used to work when i just got it; but now about 2 weeks later my computer does nothing, it doesn't beep, or show up in my "computer file". Help please?

2. John

If all else fails try licking the card's contacts. Try slightly flexing the card. My SanDisk 32 gb micro sd card stopped being recognized by my phone. I put it in a card reader and it wasn't recognized. I took it to a data recovery shop and they said they couldn't get data off of it, probably, but they would try, for $300 (even if it didn't work). So, I took the card home and read about cleaning its contacts. I did. Nothing. Then I licked it. I was frustrated and flexed the card, thinking about breaking it. Then I put it back in my card reader and it was recognized. Immediately I ran chkdsk on it. Now it works fine. I got all the data off, but I'm not going to use that crappy card again! Wow the stress!

• Ahzidahakah

Terrible idea. Tried gently 'flexing' the card and it snapped right in half. Now all those pictures I had are 'definitely' gone forever when I could have sent the card out for 60 bucks and had the data restored. Don't flex the cards. They're not made to flex at all.

3. Avinash Mali

Make sure that, your phone supports upto 32 GB memory cards, sometimes some don't support that much big sizes.

4. Kay Fritz

I had the same problem, and my card was simply broken, even so it was only two weeks old.

Make sure card contacts are clean. Use contact cleaner or alcohol. Can also rub them carefully with a clean pencil eraser followed by alcohol moistened tissue to remove corrosion.

have you tried to format it on windows?, some phones do have format tool in their menu, try that (this will delete all files)

• manny

My smart phone is an andriod samsung galaxy 3.
      It does not formate or detect sd card , but yet
      It works for awhile then goes undetected. :-(

how about checking on Windows? do you see it?