Why is MakeUseOf not allowing me to directly reply to an answer?

Cristián T December 10, 2013

Every time I post a question on this network, and someone posts an answer, it used to be that when I hit “reply,” it would just add another sub-column which served as comments to answers.

Now that I can’t actually reply to answers without posting a whole new answer, some people might not be able to receive notification of my reply, which is frustrating because I know there are very intelligent, helpful people on this network who seem to want to help, but can’t because of the fact that no notifications are being sent.

Thank you so much for your time and patience.

1. Tim B

As Oron said, we now only allow discussions that are one layer deep, so when you click Reply to a commenter your comments will always appear on the same level as the first reply (if that makes sense).

One thing that does happen from time to time (regardless of whether you're posting a new Answer or a new reply to a comment) is that our theme sometimes dumps your answer at the bottom of the page when you click "Post". This makes it look like a new reply, but a simple refresh will show you that your comment went in the right place.

You should be able to reply to comments, but we removed the ability to have full threads of conversation quite some time ago, as it was causing the discussion to go in all directions, often leaving the original question unanswered!
    If you are having trouble replying altogether, do as Hovsep & Dalsan suggest (you can also try loging off the site and onto it again) and see if that resolves the problem.

There are glitches from time to time. As Hovsep mentions, clearing your browser cache may help. I noticed this issue, amongst many other users, that this was an issue very recently, but has been fixed within a day or so.

4. Kamil K

I have noticed it too.

i think it is solved now, just clean your browser temp files