Why is Chrome on Windows XP causing BSOD when accessing Facebook or YouTube?

Atul April 3, 2015

I am running Windows XP SP3 and Google Chrome 41.0.2272.118.  Whenever I was accessing Facebook or YouTube in Chrome, in few seconds Windows XP (SP3) was crashing with blue screen (BSOD) with either of these errors:

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0xNNNNNNNN, 0xNNNNNNNN, 0x805D22DA)

OR

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x00000077

After this, whenever I restarted my computer, its hard disk was becoming inaccessible. CMOS was not able to detect HDD.  Then I used to change ATE/IDE mode from Native to Legacy, after that it was becoming accessible again.  (I was then making sure to set the mode back to Native and rebooting the machine.)

I was thinking the problem was with my HDD and tried run utilities to detect bad sectors. I ran Seagate’s SeaTools and MiniTool Partition Wizard. However, both the tools crashed with blue screen then HDD going inaccessible after reboot. MiniTool Partition Wizard caused crash in few minutes while SeaTools took hours before it caused BSOD.  I then tried running chkdsk /r /f on boot but it stuck at “CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5).”

I tried uninstalling and re-installing Chrome (Google Chrome 41.0.2272.118) but NO USE. Frustrated, I didn’t know what to do. Then I narrowed down on Chrome plugins. Since Firefox was not giving any trouble, I thought to find difference between Chrome and Firefox plugin. Then I realized in Chrome built-in plugin Adobe Flash Player was Enabled. I disabled it. I then accessed Facebook and YouTube. This time Chrome did not crash the system and it kept running smoothly.

So Adobe Flash Player was the culprit. I had trouble with Adobe Flash Player in the past as well. It is CRAP. This time it wasted two days.

Here are details of the plug-in:
—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Adobe Flash Player – Version: 17.0.0.134 (Disabled)
Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Version: 17.0.0.134
Location: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\41.0.2272.118\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
Enable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
.spl

Currently my problem (of BSOD due to Chrome) is solved. But remained these questions still unsolved:

1. Why Google has still kept this defective piece as built-in plug-in for Chrome? (If you google, you’ll find Adobe Flash player plugin has caused many problems including BSODs.)

2. If the plugin was trying to play video and crashed with BSOD, why would my HDD goes inaccessible after reboot?

3. Why chkdsk would freeze at “CHKDSK is verifying file data” ?

4. Why SeaTools and MiniTool Partition Wizard also crash with BSOD and what else can be done to detect bad sectors (if at all they exists on my HDD) ?

1. Atul

Many many thanks to everyone who posted answers to my questions. Yes indeed it boiled down to my Hard Drive. Eventually I realized that even after keeping Windows running without opening any application, it started crashing with BSOD after few hours.

I booted computer using SeaTools for DOS (As recommended by Seagate) and tried to repair bad sector. The tool was unable to repair bad sectors and clearly suggest to get backup of existing data and replace the hard drive.

I then somehow managed to boot from HDD ("somehow" because I had to change "ATA/IDE Mode" from Native to Legacy. Then only BIOS was detecting HDD. Then I was rebooting and changing it back to Native. Sounds funny but that was only way BIOS was detecting my HDD so I did it.) I took all the backup on some other external disks. And now going to replace current HDD with newer one.

Many thanks again!

in addition to JAN F comment regarding SMART values check here
    S.M.A.R.T.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

- Reallocated Sector Count = bad sectors in the past.
    - Current Pending Sector = this should ALWAYS BE ZERO or you have problems! This can be either weak electric charge with insufficient ECC correction ability or it can be physical damage. Writing to this sector will solve the problem; if there was physical damage it will be realloacted by a reserve sector and the Reallocated Sector Count raw value will increase.
    - UDMA CRC Error Count = cabling errors, if this is higher than 1000 and increasing you have cabling problems.

3. Jan F.

I think you are simply avoiding to face the problem of a failing hard drive or another related issue.
    Yes, maybe using anything but Chrome and/or Flashplayer is working but the simple answer to that is that either or both of them are making your system use or access parts of the hard drive which cause these issues.

Think about it: 3 out of 3 hard drive/file system tools fail to properly run, they get stuck, freeze or even Bugcheck the system. If it was a software issue with Chrome or Flash it wouldn't have any effect on those.

1. If you search for a problem there is a good chance you get hundred thousands of results about it. That's what search engines are intended to do.
    Flashplayer is sandboxed in Chrome so it can actually crash without even closing down your browser. The BSODs caused by Flashplayer are usually duo to using hardware acceleration on blacklisted (unsupported) chipsets, outdated or damaged graphics drivers.

2. It wouldn't. A software or driver caused bugcheck usually doesn't do any such thing. The system should simply work normal until the next time it encounters the problem, bugchecks. Again, this strongly suggests and issue with your hard drive or at least hardware.

3. If it's an online disc check within Windows any system related error can cause it to (seemingly) freeze, for example damaged system files, drivers etc. A quite damaged hard drive can also cause it to seemingly freeze. I've seen reports where check disc eventually finished after running for 20-30 hours. Mechanical issues...

4. I would suggest the easier route. Take a look at the SMART values of the drive e.g. using CrystalDiskInfo.
    http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

(0x05) Reallocated Sectors Count: if your drive is starting to reallocate sectors then it is failing (Backblaze statistics suggest an annual failure rate of over 50% once the raw value goes over 260)

(0xBB) Reported uncorrectable errors: uncorrectable errors are obviously bad

(0xC5) Current Pending Sector count: number of sectors which are pending to be remapped, if this number goes up it means that you have sectors which cause read errors but can still be written to and are therefor not reallocated, not good

(0xC6) Uncorrectable Sector Count: usually indicates a disk surface or mechanical problem of the drive

If the raw values of these attributes go up your drive is clearly failing.

check this
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/108086?hl=en
    1.Type chrome:plugins in the address bar to open the Plug-ins page.
    2.On the Plug-ins page that appears, find the "Flash" listing.
    •To enable Adobe Flash Player, click the Enable link under its name.
    •To disable Adobe Flash Player completely, click the Disable link under its name.

if chkdsk freeze then possible your hard drive may be failing. If SeaTools and MiniTool Partition Wizard crash with BSOD, try Hard Disk Sentinel
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/
    there is a surface test check the result
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/61_surfacetest.html

See the following articles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950415
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-showing-stop-0x000000f4/2c1cbc30-8f38-4e33-8721-03e3de7de907
    http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_error/A-process-or-thread-crucial-to-system-operation-has-0x000000F4-*1241.html

Based on the STOP codes you are getting, I would first take a look at the System Logs in the Event Viewer for errors from the Disk subsystem. I would hazard a guess that the log is rapidly collecting errors from it which would indicate a failing hard drive (your boot drive).

My reasoning is that the STOP 0x77 error is due to the system attempting to read in a portion of the kernel that was previously pushed out to the paging file and this read operation fails. The STOP 0xF4 error is a critical process crashing (first parameter is 3, so it is a process, not a thread). The fourth parameter there would point to an error message giving you more information about what happened and it should be any dump file created after the crash. Most of the time the 0xF4 error is due to problems with a hardware or drivers. In this instance, it is likely to be the result of a large number of read operations being performed on bad sectors, so checksums aren't matching, the system keeps retrying until it finally fails the entire operation when the driver returns an error to the Disk subsystem or the driver itself crashes.

Regarding your specific questions:
    1. Many sites still require Flash to work properly and haven't transitioned to the superior HTML5/CSS3 solution.
    2. Again, I believe this is a case of the hard drive in death throes.
    3. It has reached the point where it is getting all kinds of error conditions back from the driver and it is attempting to correct them. If you let it run even longer, it is likely it would also throw a bugcheck.
    4. They have reached the point where they either cannot deal with the errors being thrown by the driver or the driver itself crashes due to errors on or with the drive.

Tv Thailand