Why I’m receiving updates for MS .NET Framework even if I don’t have it installed in my system?

1hegame March 28, 2013

In my ‘uninstall or change a program’ list, it is nowhere and I have uninstalled previous ones but still Windows is telling me to install security updates for .NET Framework.

1. 1hegame

Thanks for all your response :) I now have to update it anyway. Even I don't need it. And if Windows can't survive without it then its okay.

2. Grr

.NET is an integral part of Windows OS. So you keep receiving updates for the same.
    Also in case if you would have installed some software that requires .NET, windows will provide you updates for that specific version as well.

In my laptop I have .Net3.5 and 4. each version of .NET has multiple updates. So no need to worry abt it.

3. Pooky Joralyn

Windows XP and later all have built-in .NET Framework, and they don't appear in Add/Remove Programs.
    XP:1.0
    Vista: 2.0
    7: 3.5
    8: 4.5

• 1hegame

okay.

4. Pulkit Saraf

.NET framework is a feature in microsoft windows,and by default this feature is turned on when you install windows.
    Go to control pannel>Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework
    then this feature will be turned off.

5. Nevzat A

I don't think removing all versions of .NET from your computer is a good idea. Microsoft deeply integrated it with Windows and many third party software (even system software like AMD Radeon graphics utility) use it because developing software based on .NET is easier and more secure for Windows programmers.

• 1hegame

okay thanks.

If you are feeling ambitious and dont have a problem with probing around in the registry you can find out which versions are installed.
    Details of just where to look are detailed in this MS help page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

7. moe3ius

Jan Fritsch its right.

Everytime you update your windows, it install some .net files, and thats its for the web pages and certain services use .asp pages and funtions.

The microsoft office use too that funtion, it you have the groove of group sync instaled, that its another things that need the .net files.

.NET Framework is a feature in windows
    Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework

the message is it from windows update?

• 1hegame

hmm.. the box is just filled up there and the two options under it are not checked.

is it like this
      Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

9. Jan Fritsch

The .NET Framework is an integral part of the Windows environment. You can find a very detailed list about it's presence in the various Windows versions and editions at the following link.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx

Short Version:
    Since Windows Vista at least one version of the .NET Framework is built into the OS. It will not appear on the Add and Remove list but you will see the updates within Windows Update.

Actually, the .NET Framework (version 1.0) has existed in Windows since XP.

• 1hegame

I don't need detail. But thanks for the answer.