Why hasn’t Facebook gotten back to me after I submitted my ID?

Toby C April 9, 2013

So exactly a week ago, I was on my email when I got a new email saying that my Facebook account had been changed, and another one titled “Someone may have accessed your account”.

Just a bit of a backstory, I gave my friend the password to the account that day, and in the email, it gave the IP address, operating system, browser, and estimated location of the person who had changed the password, and it matched him(he told me it was him the next day).

On the email, it gave me an option to “secure your account”, and that was what I clicked, even though I knew it was him.(I changed my mind and decided I didn’t want him on it, after all…)

It then gave me this page on FB saying:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Secure Your Account
You started securing your account on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 9:32pm by clicking a link we emailed you.

To finish securing your account, you’ll need to answer a few questions and change your password. For your protection, no one can see you on Facebook until you finish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So yeah, I clicked the “continue” button, and the next page says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upload a photo ID
To make sure this is your account, we need you to upload a color photo of your government-issued ID. Your ID should include your name, birthday and photo.
Acceptable IDs include your:
Passport
Driver’s license
State-issued ID card
Military ID card
Immigration ID with signature
We won’t accept:
Your profile picture
Everyday pictures
Clip art

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I submit my ID and then it says:

“Please provide a secure email”, so I provide my email,
and then it says “Are you sure this email is secure?” so I select yes.

and then finally it says:
“Thanks for uploading your ID
Someone will review your uploaded ID shortly and reply to you at the email address you provided.”

SHORTLY. YEAH RIGHT.

I’ve already submitted my ID since I first came across this page, a week ago, to no avail. I’ve submitted it 10+ times, I’ve been waiting for a week, yet Facebook still hasn’t replied.
Seriously, what kind of a crappy customer service is this? For such a large company/website, with over a billion users, like seriously?

I receive those same pages whenever I login to the account, starting with the “Secure Your Account” page.

After the first time I submitted my ID, I got an email from Facebook saying:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi,

We locked your account because it might be compromised. Here’s how you can get back in:

1. Try logging in to your account and completing the recovery steps from a computer or mobile phone that you normally use to access Facebook. You can start the recovery process here:

https://www.facebook.com/recover.php

2. If your account is still locked, please wait while we review your ID.

If you haven’t provided an ID that meets our requirements, please reply to this email and attach a picture of your ID. You can review what types of ID we accept and how to send your attachments over a secure connection here:

https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=148993491850191

Note that we won’t be able to take any action on this account without a picture of an ID that meets these requirements. For your privacy, this account will remain hidden on the site until you are able to pass the lock on your account.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven’t received any more emails from them since.

1. Claire

I have EXACTLY the same problem! Facebook suddenly disabled my account because someone logged on to it from a different location and it has scared me a bit because this 'someone' logged into my account in Leicester and I don't live there! So they locked my account. I sent in my ID, they sent the same e-mail back and then nothing...it's been a week and NOTHING! I am pissed off. I have a feeling I will never get my account back which is a shame.

2. Ana

What did you do to get your account back I have been 5 days without access I have only received emails about notifications that I have.

Processing in Facebook takes time and what Toby did is submitted his ID proof and he has to wait for 18 days.So,try emailing Facebook by attaching your photo ID -

3. Toby C

AFTER 18 DAYS OF WAITING, I FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINALY GET MY ACCOUNT BACK!
    THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• priya

i gt this went i log in to my account (Someone May Have Accessed Your Account
      To secure your account, you'll need to answer a few questions and change your password)
      i have sent my id but no response from 3 days...
      wihat shall i do??

• Goran Miladinovic

How did you get it back ? Because i have the same problem.

He has been consistently sending ID proofs of his photo and waited patiently which got his account back.

4. Chris Marcoe

You said you did get an e-mail from them, right?

• Toby C

I haven't received anything from them since I got the "Thank you for submitting your ID" email 11 days ago.

hope that email was not a spam and your info were not diverted to somewhere else.

4 Things To Do Immediately When Your Facebook Account Is Hacked
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-immediately-facebook-account-hacked/

• muotechguy

Hardly "hacked" - he gave his password away!

• Toby C

Yeah, my account wasn't hacked, and I haven't got it back yet, so I can't do anything in that article.
      How do I know whether those emails were legit or not?

did you send picture ID? as required...

if you do not have access to your account with password... then the only way will be to send an email to facebook explaining the situation...you have to wait for reply...

if you start to repeat the scenario facebook account hacked with your previous id then perhaps it can generate more problem.

if there is a link inside the mail then you can check it with virustotal
      https://www.virustotal.com/

Five Ways to Tell If an Email is Spam
      http://spam-filter-review.toptenreviews.com/five-ways-to-tell-if-an-email-is-spam.html

• Toby C

Yes, I've sent my ID several times already.
      I have access to the FB account, email+password and all, but when I login to the account, it gives me the "Secure Your Account" page.

I don't know their email address, and if I send them one, they'll probably give me an automated response anyway.

I have no idea what you mean in the third paragraph.

what else you see on Secure Your Account page?
      have you tried to access your facebook account from another pc?
      you can try to email them and hope that they will reply!

the third paragraph if you need to check if email was spam (in th future...)

http://www.facebook.com/help/issues/login
      Help! I Can’t Log Into My Facebook Account!
      http://www.ihubmedia.com/help-i-cant-log-into-my-facebook-account/

• Toby C

I explained everything in the original post.
      No, I haven't tried to access it from another PC, but I'll try.

and I don't understand the line "if you start to repeat the scenario facebook account hacked with your previous id then perhaps it can generate more problem."

just a precaution nothing else you know how facebook is if they detect that an account is suspected they can cause more problems if multiple failed attempts are made to recover the account.

one big problem is no Live Facebook Support to make things easier and faster.

I am affraid not much you can do you have to wait or to report back that the account is hacked....always follow facebook guide.

6. Chris Marcoe

I think the most pertinant part of you post is this:

"Seriously, what kind of a crappy customer service is this? For such a large company/website, with over a billion users, like seriously?"

The important part, from a company like this is: They have over a billion users, not customers. Between so many people trying to get into over one billion accounts, it might take a while. the other part is that we are users, not customers. We get exactly what we pay for. When you do get service, its more than you paid for. Because we pay nothing.

• Toby C

They could've at least sent me an email saying they're still working on it or something...