Why has my laptop become extremely slow after installing Bit Defender Internet Security 2013?

Suvadeep Paul January 16, 2013

I am using HP Pavilion DV6-6165TX Notebook PC.
Configuration:
Processor: i7-2670QM 2.2 GHz
Ram: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: 750 GB SATA @ 5400 RPM
Graphics Card: Switchable..1. Intel HD 3000 & 2. ATI HD 6770M – 2 GB DDR5
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit (SP1)

I was using Avira Internet Security 2013 until last week when the license expired. Then I got Bit Defender Internet Security 2013 from MakeUseOf.

After installing, my laptop has become extremely slow. Everything is working like tortoise, whether it’s startup or shutdown. If I want to open any program or use MS Office, I have to wait a long time. Half of the time the laptop freezes. It takes a lot of time to scan even I insert an empty pen drive. Everything is just working like slow motion movie.

There is no virus in my PC, I have checked that. Neither I use two antivirus. Is it normal that Bit Defender slows down the PC so much or there is a problem with my laptop?

Really confused as when I was using Avira it was blazing fast.
Please help.

Thanks.

1. Jordyn Bushaw

It's possible that it is using a lot of resources in the background, try uninstalling programs that you rarely use, as they might be using a lot of resources as well.

• Suvadeep Paul

I have formatted my laptop on 1st week of January 2013. Because previously had installed and uninstalled many programs based on my requirement. But this time I have only installed programs which I need regularly. I also have searched the net and got the overall response from Bit Defender user that it slows down the PC quite a bit because of its scanning.

• Yashodhan Bhatt

You can try using Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and check for speed issues again. Couple it with a system management software like Auslogics Boost Speed to maintain your pc.

2. Suvadeep Paul

Hello,
    Thanks everyone for your valuable response. I don't have two anti-virus that's 100% sure. After uninstalling Avira I have used the Avira Cleanup tools and deleted all the registry entries. When my laptop remains idle I can see the processor usage varies from 0-2% and RAM from 19-21%. Tried one thing couple of days back is uninstalled Bit defender from my laptop and performance change was like bullock-cart to Veyron.
    I will try to use this product for couple of day more and if it irritates me beyond my tolerance level I'll remove this junk for good.
    Anyways thanks to all for your help.

antiviruses tend to do that.

4. Rob Hindle

My Norton security was about to expire and BitDefender just got some very good PC mag test results so I was thinking of changing. Firstly I was confused because the Adwords link takes me to a "winter offer" page listing 3 versions with increasing numbers of features but all at the same price - so why would anyone buy the least capable? (Still more confusing visit the normal home page of their website and that offer isn't there, "Total security" the top of range versionv is £55 instead of £30 in the offer).

Anyway I looked it up on Amazon (where "Total security" costs £21) and there were a load of very negative product reviews - So I'm sticking with the devil I know...

5. Paul Pruitt

Try Microsoft Security Essentials. Many tech sites admit that this is good enough. It has a small footprint. I used it on my Window 7 machine. It is built in for Windows 8.

Also look into getting an SSD drive. Really you can get 240 GB one for under $200. You can get a 120 GB one for under $100. These drives don't have the same issue as the spinning platter ones, you can fill them up to the brim and they are still speedy. Old style ones start degrading in performance after passing the half full level.

Make the old drive an external one with a USB drive enclosure and store your photos on it etc. Reinstall your SSD, programs and most used files on the SSD. It's amazing the difference. However be careful to get a highly rated drive. A lot of the earlier ones are crap.

Also try defragmenting your drive. [Never defragment an SSD!]

I would choose free antivirus + windows firewall anytime instead of Internet Security packages..

7. Jamie Merlau

I've recently installed the new BitDefender on my laptop to try it out. My harddrive is encrypted through Truecrypt and I can have a couple VMs running, but I haven't noticed any negative impact from the install. Check to see what services/programs are launching during your startup ('msconfig' or 'services' in the Run window). Also, what does Task Manager show as using processes? You can use Process Explorer(http://bit.ly/2QxebL) for a more in depth look.

8. Ahmed Musani

bitdefender uses a lot of resources of the ram ultimately leading the pc to slow down. it is a heavy anti-virus nevertheless its the best. try other anti-viruses that are low on system resources or try to remove some items from the startup. go to task manager and click the startup tab.

BitDefender 2013 now uses an active scan method of supposedly only scanning when your machine is idle. I found that it slowed my system down too much and reverted back to my previous AV (Vipre).
    It is important that you follow what ha14 has written as left overs will just make the situation worse.

10. Ashwin Ramesh

That's strange. I have almost the same config as your laptop. In fact I have a 6 GB RAM. But BitDefender seems to work fine. You could try contacting their support.

If you uninstalled Avira check for any left over files folders.
    For this install everything
    http://www.voidtools.com/
    do search (Avira)

this can be because realtime protection, everythme you click something, you open a folder/file Bitdefender will scan it, check the section of realtime protection and lower it or exclude folders...

12. Silhoutte james

BitDefender has added more load onto your system. You can add more ram, but that normally doesn't show much of an increatse. You can replace your pc. but the cost outweighs the performance you gain.

You can uninstall other programs to lessen the load on your Pc and make sure there aren't two AV programs running on your Pc. That's about all except replacing the system.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121211160932AADI3MW