Why has a rogue item appeared in the shared list (Mac HD) together with other network devices?
Question by Philip Long /

This rogue item “192-169-30-108” suddenly appeared this morning, as a device in my SHARED network list. It looks like an IP address (192.169.30.108), so I checked the IP of my router – it’s 124.170.202.182, so that’s not it. And Pinging 192.169.30.108 gets no reply.

It doesn’t have any properties.

I can’t see how to get rid of it, don’t like the look of it, never seen it before.

Help !!!!!!!!!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , .
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software
Smart Home Security
Smart Home Security
Smart Home Q&A
Smart Home Q&A
Mac Troubleshooting
Mac Troubleshooting
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Home Entertainment
Home Entertainment

• Gerhard Tinned

Hope it is solved with the last comments. But here one tip. The name “192-169-30-108? is the network name of the device. To find its IP is easy. just “ping” the name and it should show you the real IP. :-)

• Freud Iomc

All your base are belong to us!

• Adam Campbell

First off I assume that you are referring to the bonjour browser in a side panel of a Finder window. I am not an expert in networking and bonjour, but I have played with it a little. Here is what I would do in a situation like this.

edit–After thinking a little more about this, that name (in this case number) that pops up may not even be the IP of whatever it is, that machine has set its name to “192-169-30-108? which isn’t even the proper format for an IP address

1. Perform a local area network scan, one (free) tool for this is called LANscan in the Mac App Store.
    2. If the IP pops up again you know that it is real. if it doesn’t that is ok
    3. If it doesn’t, take a look at the machines that do pop up, go investigate their settings and see if one of their network names is “192-169-30-108?

• Philip Long

Thanks Adam,
      I think you are pretty close.
      I’ve since found what it is – I have a windows partition on my Macbook, which prior to yesterday was called “macbook-xp” when viewed in my Windows computer and when Macbook booted into the Windows partition. Yesterday it’s name changed to “192-169-30-108?. Been busy since then, will get back soon to figure it all out.

• Christopher Webb

But unnerving no?