Why don’t my comments immediately show up on MakeUseOf?

Erlis D August 23, 2013

Every time I make a comment, and refresh the page, I don’t see my comment here on MakeUseOf. And also, I think there are some problems with the points and logging in. I’ve noticed that every time I refresh the page, it looks like it’s not logged in, but after the page is fully loaded, it appear logged in.

I have changed my e-mail to a Gmail one, and now it’s back the previous one? The change of email is not a big problem, but it’s the other two things that I’m most curious about.

Best regards,
Erlis

Hi Erlis. If you'd like to change the email you've registered with, please contact our providers directly at support@punchtab.com - they will handle that for you.

As Tim said, the login script is delayed a few seconds on page load. Provided you aren't trying to comment immediately as the page appears, there should be no problem with functionality. I am trying to work on speeding it up though, so thanks for the feedback.

• Erlis D

Thanks for your support James! I think it's always better if we from time to time we discuss the site's bugs, so we can have a better website for everyone to have a good experience while learning new things from technology!

2. Tim Brookes

Hi Erlis, thanks for a good question. I'm sure plenty of other readers are wondering the same.

Due to the huge amount of spam comments we receive from dishonest companies (we now have a blacklist), comments are often held in moderation before we publish them. Sometimes spammers slip through, and we have to retroactively delete their comments. We do have a set of criteria for holding these comments, and thus when valid answers such as yours get delayed, it's unfortunate. However, our hands are tied as we don't want to let the spammers win and profit out of the Answers community.

As for not appearing logged in before the page fully loads, I too have noticed this. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, I'm certainly no web developer but it could have something to do with a script being delayed on purpose so as to not load too soon or to ensure that our content loads first. Again, this isn't concrete but it shouldn't impact your ability to comment, claim rewards and so on.

As for your email, well we can probably fix that on our side. I have passed this thread along to James, our WordPress guy who I'm sure will reply in good time.

• Erlis D

Thanks for your answer Tim. I think trying to keep the page updated and also keeping away spammers and a lot of other things, make it very complex and of course with some bugs. I think this things will be fixed soon and there is nothing to worry about!