Why don’t I get video when Skyping to the USA?

Deone Steenekamp May 29, 2013

When I Skype locally, everything works, but when I try to Skype to the USA i only get sound, no images. What can I do?

1. Justin Pot

Where are you located? Are there multiple people in the USA that you Skype regularly – all of whom claim to be able to video chat with others? Give us more information and we'll see what we can do to help.

• null

I am in Bloemfontein S.A. I am skyping only one person in the USA. He can skype in the USA. I can also in SA. It worked previously but then stopped about a month ago. I had my PC checked and all seems well,

Good resource, follow this.

VideoChat depends on the bandwidth available at the time and Skype expects a minimum bandwidth requirement for Video Chat. Just a wild guess, that when you chat locally the ISP Gateway is going through lesser hops for communication, while with USA it may be going through more hops and some server in between maybe causing a latency and having impact on the bandwidth. Just a wild guess, mind it. I would suggest you to still follow the normal Skype troubleshooting support mentioned at https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1267/i-set-up-video-in-skype-for-windows-desktop-but-it-doesn-t-work-what-can-i-do

4. Jonathan Stempel

Can the person in the US skype other people? If so, it is most likely a problem with your connection.