Why doesn’t Windows recognize my USB pen drive?

mohd mehraj ali May 18, 2012

I have a 4GB USB pen drive. When I plug it in my computer says the USB device is not recognized and the light on the drive keeps blinking. What’s wrong?

1. willbug

I find the drivers for it on the internet and install them. When a device ismt recognized it usually means that windows doest have drivers for it

2. Ravikumar

My laptop is not recognizing and showing USB. Code less mouse, data cable all are recognizing and working. Please advise.

3. Jayant

My Pen Drive Doesn't Work Plz Give me Solution.....

4. Himanshu Singla

Hi mohd mehraj ali,
    One of the reasons can be that your usb port is disable.so in order to enable the usb port follow the below steps:-

To enable a disable port following these steps

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor

In the details pane, double-click Start.

In the Value data box, type 3, click Hexadecimal (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.

Exit Registry Editor

• Brian

Hi, Himanshu Singla,

I corrected the registry value that you have given. But it still doesn't work. Is there any other way to fix the problem? Thanks

• imran

what is a details pane

Hello, is this a new pendrive? If it is not new, has it worked in the past? If it has worked in the past, chances are your drive is corrupted. If you do not have any data stored, you might want to try and format it. I would try reformatting the drive in safemode.