Why doesn’t Windows 8 recognize my Seagate GoFlex external drive?
Question by T.c. Bowman /

When I plug in the drive it shows up in “Device Manager” and “Devices and Printers” with a yellow exclamation point, and it doesn’t show up at all in “Disk Management”. When I try to troubleshoot it says my driver may need to be updated, but I have already made sure my usb drivers are up to date and working and I have installed the latest software from seagates website including one that says it would fix all windows 8 issues.
I have the 2TB usb 3.0 model, I have tried plugging it in to different usb 3 and usb 2 ports and I have been able to use a different external hard drive just fine.

• Michael Stagg

I tried all those for hours on and off and left it to “find itself” which it never did, Seagate are as helpful as a salesman in a mass estate of cheap houses fast track build so I went off, turned it into a SATA internal and am part way through rescuing all data as only pictures came up. So I shall buy a new drive of another make, shame as old Seagate drives were very good none of this interwoven security junk built for wireless drives, I knew I should not have bought such sophisticated gear. Once it gets a problem it becomes impossible to easily unlock. The resets do not seem to work Costly mistake nearly a data disaster. Good I kept the old XP desktop or I would have been severely stuffed. And daughter said get rid of the old tech’ now you have new, so I shall keep it longer for safety. It needs the Kirstie Sledge hammer.

• Ahmed Musani

download seagate tools and perform tests if it detects your hard drive. it might fix it itself.

• T.c. Bowman

I’ve tried installing all of seagates tools and none of them have been able to detect the drive

is your hard drive recognized by other computers with different windows OS?

• Jim Chambers

Sata-USB interface and/or HD in GoFlex may have failed or became disconnected. Open case, reseat connections and retry. If this doesn’t help, try installing drive in computer to see if it is detected.

• T.c. Bowman

I don’t want to open up the harddrive, if I have to send this thing back I don’t want to void the warranty

• Saurav Azad

use the seagate tool for windows it should solve the problem

• Mihovil Pletikos

did you try it on some other computer?

while the external hard drive is plugged, go to device manager right click on the hard drive and choose uninstall (do not delete) then reboot with removing the hard drive, windows should detect it and reinsatll driver.

plug the hard drive
    1. Go to run and type cmd then right click on it and choose run as administrator
    2. type DISKPART and hit enter
    3. type : LIST DISK. This will show you all the connected disk with the offline one (your external hard drive).
    4. Now select the offline disk using the next command SELECT DISK wheredisk_no is the offline disk number which you can get from step 3 result.
    5. Now you have selected the offline disk. Now enter command ONLINE DISK.

FreeAgent GoFlex Software
    http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/goflex/goflex-software-master/

SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

• Alex Schnapps

“it doesn’t show up at all in “Disk Management””
      DISKPART also will not see it

hope the hard drive is not out of working order!

first uninstall the old driver, download a new one from their webpage and try to install the driver with windows 7 compatibility mode
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/get-apps-devices-working
      1) ‘right click’ on the driver then “Properties“.
      2) click “compatibility”
      3) “Run this program in compatibility mode for“, windows 7