Why doesn’t the same Word document print the same from different printers?

Joseph Videtto December 16, 2012

I use Microsoft Word frequently. I often have to massage my text so it fits on exactly 3 pages (a requirement from my employer) when I print from my home printer. I may insert hard page breaks to do this, and I set margins accordingly, and save all the setting in the Word document. However, when I try to print the same document from a different computer and printer a sentence or two of the text on the first page wraps to a second page, and the rest of the second page is blank. What causes that?

Also, if I try to open that same Word document in Open Office, the same thing happens.

1. Joseph Videtto

So - if I understand correctly, even if I'm using different printers to print the same Word document, if the printer settings are identical, the print layout should be identical ?

If I save in Adobe format - can I bypass having identical printer settings and get the desired result - e.g. same output Word formatting against printers with SLIGHTLY different settings ?

• Manuel Guillermo L√≥pez Buenfil

Word documents change because there are many Word versions out there, but PDF files are more standard. Having a PDF file will guarantee that the file itself is not modified, but you will still need to check the printer settings.

Agreed, and if you use the .pdf print funtion, there is also a checkbox to "fit to page" in case the printer settings are not exact. Unfortunately, this will re-scale, so the image may not be the same size, but it will always fit.

most printers print differently with different ink and settings. the issue you are stating happens all the time. word documents changes a lot so create a pdf after you have finished with the document or check and fix the settings before you print on a different computer.

3. Migas Marques

It probably is because you have a messed up configuration in Printer settings.
    When you it Print or (Ctrl + P) you should check your "printer settings" and "preferences" and ("re")configured them properly.

4. Rob Hindle

Probably down to printer paper size setting being different. USA uses "Letter" most of the rest of the world uses A4.

5. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

Usually, the issues comes from the printer settings. Try to check your printer settings and see that the margins are the same. It's happened numerous times to me where my printer settings margins were set for A4 instead of the normal 8.5x11.