Why doesn’t OTG work on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4?

Mustafa Beker March 29, 2015

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE a while ago. Everything was perfect in the beginning. I definitely had no problem with connecting to PC, file transfers and charging over USB. I was able to connect USB Flash Memory, Keyboards, Mice and use them via OTG cable  How to Connect a USB Keyboard to Your Android Phone How to Connect a USB Keyboard to Your Android Phone Ever wanted to use a real keyboard on your Android device? Lucky for you, it's actually pretty easy to set up. Read More with my device.

Everything began when the local mobile operator (ZAIN JORDAN) started 4G mobile internet in the country. I went to their office and replaced my 3G SIM card with a new SIM card which provides 4G internet connection.

I was sure that the device supported 4G/LTE and after I inserted SIM card I opened the Internet connection settings in order to change the connection type from HDPE to LTE but guess what? LTE connection type wasn’t listed in the connection settings.

The only available connection types were GSM and HDPE. Therefore I started to check this problem over internet and i found out that many people having the same problem and solving by rooting the device and using a 3rd party application in order to enable 4G/LTE connection.

I did the same and rooted my device. Installed a 3rd party application and it worked perfectly. I then successfully connected to the 4G/LTE network. After a while i needed to copy a file from my device to flash memory and as I was always doing I connected USB flash memory via OTG cable and the device did not see the USB Memory. There was no warning message or voice. It was like I didn’t connect anything. So, I tried the USB memory with another device and it worked perfectly. So, I tried my device and observed that it is not connected even to my PC or anything else via USB. When I connect it to PC, nothing appears on PC. The tablet gives the USB connection sound and immediately after gives another warning sound meaning that something went wrong.

I was able to share the internet connection with my PC through USB Tethering, but when I go to Settings –>Tethering and Mobile hotspot –> USB Tethering, the option for USB Tethering has a grey color and below the option it’s written “No USB device connected” even though the device is connected to a PC.

I may unroot the device and go back to factory settings but in this case I will not be able to connect 4G/LTE network from my device and I don’t want to give up my internet connection.

I need help in this issue to solve it.

I have installed 3rd party applications from Google Play store to trouble shoot the problem but none of them worked properly. None of the applications recognized the USB connection.

1. matti ur rehman

Sir I have bought samsung tab s T804 4G one. Now how can i select the 4g option in tab

2. Mustafa E.B.

it is standard Samsung USB cable comes with the box. Below is what I read on the cable

E258105 AWM STYLE 21104 80*C 30V VW-1 BA0A0 NON-PVC QR [S] NON-P

okay the trick was the cable? maybe different standard/compatibility than the one that you used?

USB On-The-Go introduces the concept that a device can perform both the master and slave roles, and so subtly changes the terminology
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

since now everything is going well then it is very good:) at least easy solution:)

3. Mustafa E.B.

the problem was solved.

I turned off the device. Connected usb cable to pc and tablet both and turned on the tablet. Everything became normal. The trick is the cable because i tried same without cable and it didnt work.

an update (after 2 days);

i don't need to restart and everything seems ok so far. I usually don't root my devices but this time I had to because of missing LTE network option in preferred networks settings. Thanks.

• Jan F.

That's good to hear. I'm glad it was just a one time thing to turn off the device.

do you have the model of your usb cable?

maybe somehow a file is missing? or corrupt?
    http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/usb/package-summary.html
    1.android.hardware.usb.host.xml permissions in etc/permissions

USB Host Check
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tauruslabs.usbhostcheck

This is a really tough to diagnose problem. I'm curious: Is it the third party app that's causing the problem or is it the root method that's caused the issue?

You can test this yourself by uninstalling the app and then restarting your phone (and then testing out ADB). However, I think the issue might be related to whatever app you used to achieve root. It sounds like you used a one-click root method.

Many one-click root methods use an exploit to give themselves write permissions in Android's system directory. In system, they then copy files over that give the user "superuser" permissions. In Linux, it's referred to as "SU".

These root methods are oftentimes system-on-a-chip specific, so they ally only to your model of processor. There's a lot that can go wrong. For example, a lot of LTE models of device have chips that are slightly different than those that do not have LTE.

USB capabilities are directly tied into the system-on-a-chip. The root process has probably altered files that are related to OTG capabilities.

• Mustafa E.B.

an update;

• Mustafa E.B.

Yes I did root my device through the link below;

http://androidxda.com/root-samsung-galaxy-tab-s-8-4-lte-sm-t705

if this is a wrong way to root. Could you please explain the other methods for rooting?

6. Jan F.

Let me start by asking the traditional question: Have you tried turning it off and on again? And neither stand-by nor a restart/reboot counts as turning off here.

You should always change the SIM card while the device is fully turned off. Doing otherwise can lead to issues including the network (LTE) not being "available".

Other then that I would simply suggest re-installing the stock firmware using Samsung Kies (or another tool of your choice). This may just fix both, LTE not being selectable as well as your USB connection issues.

Since your device is supposed to support LTE and your SIM card is/can probably be ruled out as a problem I would rather contact the Samsung support than tinkering with the system, rooting and other stuff people suggest on forums. That should be the last resort.

• Mustafa Evren Beker

the problem was solved.

• Jan F.

It sounds like the rooting most likely broke the USB driver of your Galaxy Tab. You might be able to find USB drivers on the internet enabling you to skip the step of turning off your device before every connect.

• Mustafa E.B.

an update;