Why doesn’t my PC display anything on my monitor?

S Dash May 30, 2012

When I turn on my PC the monitor doesn’t display anything, but it seems the monitor is working. What is wrong?

1. Will

Hi, I bought a HP L2202x monitor. The only port it came with was a Display Port. I bought a Display port to HDMI cable to be able to fit on my computer, but I can't get any picture. Please help!

2. nana

my computer not displaying the screens.
    why?

3. halidou moumouni

why does my moniter does not work with my computer sometimes?

Hello, this could happen for many reasons. One of the basic steps you can take is to check the cable. Is the cable connected properly? Is it loose? Make sure to check for this before anything else. Is the monitor turned on? If you somehow suspect that it could be the cable, you could try replacing it.

Have you checked the monitor with another computer? If it works with another computer, there is something going on with yours. If this is the case, the first suspect would be the graphics card. If you have any spare graphics card around, you could try switching it to see if monitor works.

Have you moved your computer recently? Have you opened the case for any reason? Do you hear any beeping when you start up computer? One beep is normal, more than one is not. If you hear any beeping, you can check what it means in the next site. You would have to find out what BIOS your motherboard has though.....:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Is this a discreet or incorporated graphics card?

Boot to the BIOS. Do you see the setup page? Yes - the monitor is working. No the monitor is not working.
    Open your Device manager - is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your graphic card?
    Try these then post back so we can give you a more constructive solution based on your findings.

How would they open device manager if the monitor isn't working??

6. Kyem Ghosh

1st chk your computer with another working monitor and test your monitor to any other computer... See whose fault it is... If it is computer issue, then try changing the video unit output cable and next chk what these guys say... Sometimes faulty cables do major problems like this and if it is your monitor's problem, rush it for repairing

if computer is not working and not sending something to display on the monitor, , the monitor will remain blank ... because it isn't receiving anything to display.

boot to bios and see if the boot option is on the hard drive containing windows os.

possible problem with your graphic card, you can remove it and use the dedicated graphic card of the motherboard?
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html

reset cmos battery or replace with a new one.

8. pceasies

You should find another screen to test to make sure it's not the screen. If it isn't the screen, you should hold the power button until you know the computer has powered down. Turn it on. It should beep once to indicate it is working correctly. If it beeps multiple times, you'll have to consult the internet to find out what that particular error means. If you're motherboard has integrated video and you also have a video card installed, you can try removing the video card and seeing if you can get it working with integrated video only.