Why doesn’t MakeUseOf go mobile?

Blake Barker February 24, 2013

Every other tech site I know has either a mobile app, or webapp. Heck, I own a tech site and I have a mobile-friendly version! It’s 2013, MakeUseOf! Seriously? A Chinese take out place has a mobile website… and it’s a fast food restaurant in a not so great area.

Honestly, to be fair I love this site, but have not been reading. I’m always on my Android, and seeing as to how there are sites that have mobile versions that are so much better than this site, I just go for that. Appy Geek, AppyGamer, How-To-Nerd app, Geek, Wired, all have some sort of mobile support, whether direct or not, they offer some way.

Eh. No big deal. Just saying it’s 2013 and a lot of people are on the go on their mobile device. Time to upgrade, no longer the 1900s. It’s 2013. Heck, this is kinda sad… but…. My 7 year old cousin has a mobile site he doodles his art work on. I mean sure, ads, whatever. But at least he has a mobile site. MakeUseOf, honestly, you lost my support. Like I try, but I’m just too much on my Android to waste my time when there are better sites that offer everything-mobile support.

I did ask a similar question question sometime back and Muo TechGuy did answer on the same. You can refer to it here : http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/why-doesnt-makeuseof-have-an-android-app/

2. Tina Sieber

Blake,

I understand your frustration. As Chris has already said, we are working on an update to the entire site that will address viewing with mobile browsers.

We are not working on mobile apps for various reasons.

3. Jan Fritsch

While I agree with the sentiment about not having a mobile site I believe one has to mention that MakeUseOf had all of it at some point.

There used to be apps at least for iOS and Android back in 2010/2011? And there was also the WP touch plugin which stopped working (for reasons unknown to me) so it was removed.

I recall talking with James about both mid last year so he can probably give you more information on MUO mobile

WP_Touch became incompatible. It's the best solution for a lot of sites, but sadly didnt work right for us. The apps were just atrocious, no one was able to maintain them, so when we changed some of the backend server code they simply broke and couldn't be updated. To be honest, single websites apps are a complete waste of time anyway.

4. Tug R

I remember that there used to be a mobile version, but I never liked it. It seemed to be quite glitchy.

5. Chris Hoffman

I can absolutely assure you that we are working on this (from what I know). I don't really want to give too much away (maybe other people will respond with more detail), but we know about this issue and will be dealing with it.

We used to have a dedicated mobile site, but it's giving me the desktop version on my Nexus 4 now (looks good, but still). Not really sure what happened there, that's for other people to explain.

• Aibek Esengulov

Hey Blake

As Chris pointed out we are working on that. We have offered several ways to explore MakeUseOf website on a mobile device in the past. All of them were ultimately disabled because of specific issues. This time we are working on a new website theme which would automatically resize according to the screen size and resolution of the users, without the need to drop essential website features like login and user profiles.

Aibek