Why doesn’t iTunes detect my iPhone in DFU mode?
Question by sultan dilawar ali /

My iTunes is not detecting my iPhone in DFU mode but it is detecting it in recovery mode.

Basically my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 is stuck at the Apple logo. I tried many times to fix it via my Windows 7 64-bit computer. I’ve also tried to solve this on my computer via Redsnow. It goes till the pineapple appears but after some time it becomes stuck again at the Apple logo.

I’ve tried also to solve this problem with iTunes using recovery mode and downloaded firmware but it showed error 3194.

What can I do?

• saikiran

Hiee,i’m saikiran,using iphone 4s.My i phone got stuck in dfu mode,only connect to itunes appears on the screen and its not detecting in i tunes.pls hel me out to fix this problem.

• error3194

Whenever I try to restore my iPhone 4, the following error occurs: The iPhone “kaaroo” clould not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).how to fix error 3194 Why do I get error 3194 when trying to restore my iPhone 4?

• how to fix error 3194

I want to unable this error from my ipod,please provide me step to fix it.how to fix error 3194

• djvu

Who has problem with “Unknown device” in iPhone DFU mode, just select install driver manually and choose folder “c:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers\

• Parin

My Iphone is detected by Computer in DFU Mode
    even drivers get installed

but the Itunes Doest respond to it please help

• ryandigweed0

Also, sometimes itunes has issues with installing iPhones if you’re running an older version of iTunes. please Update your iTunes, and give it a try. :)

• ryandigweed0

If laga’s method doesn’t work, then you’ll have to rightclick on the notepad icon, an select run with admin privileges/rights and then when it runs, open the file “hosts” in the folder

and add this line to it,
    ” # gs.apple.com”
    (without the quotes) and then save the file.

This is done to block the Apple Update Server. Then if you have a registry cleaner, you may run it. otherwise just connect your phone in DFU mode, and then start iTunes.

If you’re jailbreaking, this is usually an issue that itunes tries to block people from using their own “unsigned” or “custom” firmwares. In order to bypass this, we have to block itunes from accessing the apple server.

Are you new to jailbreaking? Because many new Jailbreakers face this issue.

Also, Please ensure that you’re in DFU mode, and your data cable is fine. Review the steps to put your phone into DFU mode.

When you put your phone into DFU mode, you’ll get a popup at the bottom of you screen saying “USB device detected” and later maybe “Apple DFU mode” or something like that.

That means you’ve put your phone into DFU mode correctly.

Then fire up iTunes, and it should say “iPhone Detected in DFU mode” if it does, that means you’re good to go.

• Laga Mahesa

Error 3194 is caused by an errant entry in your hosts file. See HERE for details, but essentially you need to open this file :

… in Notepad, then remove all entries that mention apple.com. Doing this should eliminate that error.

Now, as for DFU mode – what happens exactly? It is unlikely the computer fails to recognize DFU but is happy with recovery mode – the same driver is involved in both cases.

In order to enter DFU mode, do this :

Reboot, POWER+HOME.

As soon as the screen flickers indicating a reboot, hold down POWER.

As soon as the apple logo appears, wait an addition 1 second then ALSO hold down HOME.

As soon as the apple logo DISAPPEARS, release the POWER button.

The device’s screen should be BLANK from now on.

Shortly after this, your computer should beep and a notification bubble should appear indicating it has detected a new device.

You are now in DFU mode.

As an aside – 5.0.1 is no longer current and Apple is no longer signing it. If you are trying to restore a non-current version, you *MUST* have the SHSH blobs for that version saved, and you MUST restore using a ‘custom’ IPSW with your SHSH blobs ‘stitched’ inside. This goes beyond the original question, so if you want to know more submit a seperate query.