Why does YouTube keep sending me emails about my subscriptions?

Chris C August 30, 2013

I tried going to the subscription manager at YouTube, and I selected all of my subscriptions and chose the option to make YouTube not send me emails detailing each and every one of my subscriptions’ uploads but that didn’t work for some reason.  I can’t get YouTube to stop sending me subscription notifications.  I only want to receive notifications if someone sent me an inbox message or if someone replies to a comment I posted on a video.  Thank you so much for helping.

1. Tim Brookes

Are you using Gmail?

I've read what you've said in the other answers and if YouTube is going to persist in sending these, you might as well just bin them the second they arrive. You can do this in Gmail by setting up a filter. Even if you're using Gmail through a client, you can still login, set the filter, and go back to your client afterwards for the changes to take effect.

On the subscriptions email, click the downwards arrow next to reply and choose "Filter Messages like this". It should put some sort of criteria (like the from email) but you can also choose to add additional ones, like the "Subscriptions for " in the subject field, for example. Click next, choose to trash the message on arrival and save the filter.

Even though YouTube is still sending you messages, you won't be any the wiser until they change their mailer address (which is why the subject line is handy to add) or the filter breaks for another reason.

I'm sure other email providers have filters, but I've used Gmail since it existed so I am not familiar with any others. The same concept applies to them too, though!

2. Justin P

To simplify the already great instructions above, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/account_notifications

Make your changes, then click the blue "Save" button at top-right. Good luck.

• Chris C

I already tried editing the settings on that page, but for some reason, it seems to have no effect.

• Justin Pot

When that happened to me...and it did...the problem was that I didn't hit the "Save" button. Worth a shot, anyway.

When you are at the email settings page the "Email notifications" only relate to YOUR channel and account, not to channels you subscribed to. In your case you will only want to have private messages checked there.

The emails regarding channels you subscribed to is controlled by the "Subscription Digest". You can set them to once a day, a week or never.

• Chris C

Thank you for the information! Where do I find the Subscription Digest?

• Jan F

The Subscription digest options are at the same page as the notifications (see the link Justin provided).

On the English version it's in the middle of this page, where it says

"Send me digest emails with the latest videos from my subscriptions:"

and next to it is a drop-down menu where you can select the frequency of notifications.

1) Login to your YouTube account
    2) click the Settings link under My Account.
    3) Click Email and manage your notifications
    4) check and uncheck Dont send email for few times, see if this will help to solve the problem

• Chris C

When I get to the page you are instructing me to navigate to, should I refresh it every time I check or uncheck the box that orders Google or YouTube not to send me any email notifications?

• Chris C

Oh and by the way, I tried your method they way I assumed it should have been, which was without refreshing the page, and no change has occurred.

uncheck everything and check Dont send email wait for 24h, then you can revert back, perhaps this can help.
      are you using one email address or multiple?

• Chris C

I am only using one email address.