Why does Windows want me to update Internet Explorer even though I removed it?

hazem elsaiegh May 31, 2013

Hi all,

I install updates from Microsoft frequently. I removed Internet Explorer from my PC but security updates for IE always keep appearing in Windows Update, alongside ActiveX updates. My question is: why does it keep appearing after I removed IE, and is it safe for me not to download these security updates?

To make your whole system less vulnerable to attack update to IE10 and keep it updated even if you turn it off. Downgrading to IE 8 is not recommended as it isn't very secure.

2. Paul Vi

You can't do a clean uninstall of IE from windows, I never use it but always update it.

3. Dave Parrack

Personally I always keep IE updated, even though I never use it. As others have stated it's built into Windows, so while Microsoft cannot force you to use it they can force updates on you.

Before deciding to hide any IE updates for your system, you really need to research what the update fixes. Even though you have "uninstalled" IE, many of its core components still remain on the system and are used on a daily basis. The update mechanism itself uses IE in order to check for and download updates and if you are using Microsoft Update as opposed to Windows Update, there is an additional ActiveX control that is used there. If any of the offered updates are fixing security holes in the components your system is still using, you really need to apply the update even if you are not using IE or have "uninstalled" it. The compatibility updates can be safely ignored, but the rest are generally required to maintain your security posture.

You would be hard pushed to remove IE altogether from the PC, but even if you did, you would still get updates for it, along with some other applications MS consider to be "standard" on a PC, such as parts of the Office package...

How to Hide or Unhide a Windows Update in Vista
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72491-windows-update.html

Which version of I.E. was it? If it was version 9 then it was an update so uninstalling it will revert you back to version 8 - or should do.
    As for version 8, it cannot be fully uninstalled as its hard coded into the Windows software. Thats why you are being offered updates.
    If you have no intention of ever using I.E. you can always right click on the updates and select Hide.

You have not removed IE but have kind of turned off the feature. IE is a integral feature of Windows 7 and cannot be uninstalled, the feature can only be turned on or off via turn Windows feature on or off. So whenever any update or upgrade, as applicable is available on Windows Update server, it will give you an option to update. Simply right-click any update that you don't want to see again, and choose Hide Update. It will never again feature in the future. :D