Why does Windows 8 sometimes boot to a black screen?

Pooky Joralyn April 10, 2013

Well, I’ve been using Windows 8 Pro x64 on my laptop for 2 weeks now.

Sometimes it just shows a black screen, with mouse cursor, after typing in the password. I can go to Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Esc, start Command Prompt, and type “shutdown /r” to restart it to normal.

I tried downloading the hotfix (Fix413812) from Microsoft and it says “cannot be applied on your system”. How can I get the fast startup working?

1. nopcbs

I had a similar problem with my WIN8-64 Pro upgrade of WIN6-64 Ultimate. About 1/3 of the time with a cold or warm boot/re-boot I would get a black screen that just stayed there. I would cycle power and it would almost always boot OK after the black screen, but not always. Sometimes took 3 or 4 attempts. Once up, it ran fine.

My fix was to create an Acronis emergency boot disk CD and then just leave it in one of the DVD drives. The system tries to boot off the Acronis disk first, times out when I don't input that it should boot off the Acronis CD and then it ALWAYS boots of my SSD HD normally.

I think that this is related to Microsoft playing with startup operations to make it seem like WIN8 is booting much faster than WIN7 does. They let you start doing I/O before WIN8 is fully up and sometimes WIN8 gets ahead of the hardware being ready...and it stalls with that black screen. Making the system check a bootable CD before going to your C drive to boot lets everything stabilize in the hardware before WIN8 starts to boot from the C drive. My speculation.

I have also heard that disabling fast start in WIN8 solves the problem, but have not tried this. I use the Acronis CD "fix" on my laptop, too, and it works there as well, too.

• Pooky Joralyn

It always startup fine without fast startup, and also OK starting up from hibernation. And I won't just leave a CD inside the drive all the time (it's a laptop!)

2. pp potana

avast antivirus has problems with windows 8. If you have Avast uninstall it

You say that when you tried to apply the fix it gave this message: cannot be applied on your system. Was there anymore to this message? The reason why I ask is that everything I have read points to the Fix413812 or (KB 2756559).
    Are you sure you are attempting the fix with the right version i.e. 64bit and your language?

• Pooky Joralyn

Yep, 64bit, and there's only one for any language.

You say you cannot flash the BIOS because it is too new, have you actually checked for an upgrade?
    Just because your laptop is new does not mean that your BIOS version is.

• Pooky Joralyn

Checked already. In fact, I've been checking for driver updates so often.

5. Chinmay Sarupria

Hello Pooky,

There are a lot of solutions on this forum. You should definitely check it out
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproinstall/thread/13202265-baea-47e7-9eae-c1b2aec2206e/

6. Eserpess der

get windows 7 back...Windows 8 is a disaster. I had the same problem a refresh fixed it, but i kept getting more and more issues...its windows 8 itself its broken go back to windows 7. their was nothing wrong with it.

7. vishal

How to make SP_Flashing Tool Compatible with Windows 8 (Unsigned Driver)
    http://pinoyscreencast.net/how-to-make-sp_flashing-tool-compatible-with-windows-8-unsigned-driver/

• Pooky Joralyn

Again, not any problem with the driver!

• Tina Sieber

Vishal, please do not copy content from other websites without quoting your source! I have replaced your comment with the link to the original source.

8. yudics

I think your hardware can cause this problem, please try to reinstall all driver in your laptop, but make sure to uninstall your driver before you install the new driver.

• Pooky Joralyn

All drivers are signed (it's x64) and are latest...

• yudics

did you install avast free antivirus?, avast antivirus is not compatible with win 8, try to unistall avast antivirus from safemode, too much startup program may cause Win 8 goes to black screen, use safe mode to disable start-up programs that are not necessary.

• yudics

or you can try this:

1> Press combination key "ctrl+alt+del", simultaneously, then select task manager.
      2>In task manager form, go to file->run new task, then type "cmd", to run command promt.
      3>In command promt, type "rstrui", this will run the system restore.
      4>In system restore form, click "scan for affected programs", this will pop up show the latest program that installed on your win 8, the latest program may cause this problem, close the pop up window, then click next until the restart notification is shown.
      5>This process may have a lot of time, wait until done
      6> You done.. check if the problem is still exist?

• Pooky Joralyn

Yes, I use avast, but the official website says it does support Win8!

• yudics

thats it, avast..!, uninstall it.., and see what happens..

• Pooky Joralyn

Then what should I use instead?

How To Repair Windows 8 Using The Refresh and Reset Feature
    http://www.maketecheasier.com/repair-windows-8-with-refresh-and-reset/2013/01/29

can be video card driver problem, go to device manager locate it, right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delete) reboot, Windows will reinstall the driver.

• Pooky Joralyn

no problem with any drivers actually. It's pretty much a bug in Windows 8. It always boots fine when I disable the fast startup option.

• Pooky Joralyn

I can't flash the BIOS, it's too new, and I don't think there's any problem with RAM. I want the fast startup to work, otherwise I don't even need to post a question here, just disable fast startup will do it.

i do understand the question, perhaps you need to refresh/reset windows 8. If microsoft confirmed that is a bug in Windows 8 then perhaps next Windows update can solve the problem.

• Pooky Joralyn

Did a clean install, successfully installed that hotfix, but it didn't help. C'mon, I really don't want to wait this long to get an update...

this is something if you succeeded in installing the hotfix after clean install windows 8, now is your copy of windows 8 clean like purchased as in box or downloaded from Microsoft. If not perhaps your copy is not to be trusted.

Now if you think that your windows 8 copy is good and still you have problems with fast startup perhaps to verify your hardware like ram, cmos battery...maybe you can remove your graphic card and boot from the on board graphic card to see if fast startup will succeed.

oops its a laptop you cant remove the garphic card sorry:), do you have other partitions on your laptop?, have you tried to remove the battery and then to fast startup with charger plugged to the wall? How about power management options in your laptop which one is?

• Manuth Chek

I have 3 partitions including WIndows one, and one of them is locked with BitLocker. I also got the ISO file from Microsoft. And no difference whether the battery is there or not (I mostly use it without battery at home)

• Manuth Chek

yudics said that avast causes problems too. I use the latest free version. Do you think there's anything wrong with this?

It is possible that antivirus can cause this and more if the previous antivirus was not uninstalled correctly and left overs are there such as process, service, registry keys...

Windows 8 BLACK SCREEN
      http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116311.0

BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

• Manuth Chek

I did a clean install, so there was no any AVs before that.

do you have the same problem if you uninstall the antivirus, just to check

• Manuth Chek

so what should I use instead if that's the culprit? What's more, the hotfix cured only hibernation, not fast startup.

if that’s the culprit (Avast) you can try microsoft security essential just to check, then if you see the problem is fixed and you like to use another antivirus check the following article

A Free Anti-Virus Comparison: 5 Popular Choices Go Toe-To-Toe
      http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-antivirus-comparison-popular-choices-toetotoe/

• Manuth Chek

What about the built-in Windows Defender?

When you install Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows defender will turn off (not uninstall).

Windows Defender only protects against a subset of known malicious software but Microsoft Security Essentials protects against ALL known malicious software.
      http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstalk/archive/2009/12/03/if-i-have-microsoft-security-essentials-do-i-still-need-windows-defender.aspx

How to activate Windows Defender in Windows 8
      http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020260/how-to-activate-windows-defender-in-windows-8.html

• Manuth Chek

Ok, enough. I think I should just move on and leave fast startup disabled, hibernation is a little faster on it. The problem is that now I can't switch on WiFi. Gone to PC settings and the wireless switch is simply grayed out. Checked all the latest drivers and UEFI, nothing wrong. It has no wireless physical switch (it's Lenovo E49) other than FN-F5 (which bring up the network sidebar), I think something's wrong with other Lenovo-specific drivers, say, power management. Any idea?

it can be Windows 8 version of Lenovo Energy Management, install energy management for win 7
      http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Ideapad-Z470-Wifi-Fn-key-no-longer-works-after-upgrading-to/td-p/910037

Z470 cannot connect to WiFi
      https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Z470-cannot-connect-to-WiFi/ta-p/681711

1) Control Panel" from the menu.
      2) Click the "Network and Internet" icon in the Control Panel.
      3) Click "Network and Sharing Center."
      4) Right click "Wireless Network Connection" icon. Select "Enable."

• Manuth Chek

Ok... will try tomorrow, but BTW, I didn't disable the adapter in Network and Sharing Center anyway.

• Manuth Chek

try this one
      Power Manager for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo E49
      http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029544

• Manuth Chek

Let's hope so...

• Manuth Chek

Tried that, didn't work, any idea?