Why does Windows 8 not recognize my hard drive during Windows installation?

Gowtham N March 27, 2013

When I tried to install Windows 8 I got the error “setup cannot find any hard drives”. Then I cannot start my PC. Windows XP is corrupted.

And then when I tried to install Windows XP again, the same error showed up. Please help me! :(

1. Alison Gent

have you tried taking both sata cables out and then putting them back in...nice and tight make sure their in? I know that was my probablem

2. Dave Rimmer

Try getting to the Bios keep presing delete when the PC boots and make sure that the HDD is showing in the Bios if not click on it and set to auto detect then restart.

3. rickarani

Have you ever dismantled your computer before you started installing windows 8? If so then you may have wrongly put the SATA cable that connects your hard disk to the motherboard and so once you start up the pc, its trying to locate the hard drive but it cannot. Please check this

Even after tightly securing SATA cables doesn't work,then replace it with new ones.It works.

Try the above suggestions and if you still cannot get your hard disc recognised then take it out and put it into another machine. Can you see the hard disc now?
    If so format it and then put it back into the original PC and try again to install Windows.

try disable AHCI (or RAID which includes AHCI in its functions) in BIOS and use native SATA IDE emulation mode (SATA/PATA).

7. Donald Schultz

First thing to try is make sure that the cables are securely fastened to the HD and if you have SATA make sure that the HD is plugged into SATA0 on the motherboard. Try getting a hold of a live cd, such as Ubuntu and see if you can boot to that.