Why does Windows 7 crash when I try to open most programs?

Francisco de Gusmao March 29, 2013

I’m running¬†Windows 7¬†32-bit. Recently I had a problem and I formatted the c: drive and installed Windows again. After that I ran into another problem, every time I tried to open a program or folder, the explorer encountered an error and restarted, I later found out that the problem was on a corrupted ieproxy.dll file and, through the CMD I solved it.

Now, it seems that a similar, but worse problem appeared. Basically I can’t open anything, not even the CMD. Just some particular (almost seem random) programs open: control panel, uninstall/repair programs, uTorrent and maybe another few. No browsers open. Also, it’s the same in safe mode and I can only restart with the 5 second push on the power button.

I wandered around the net and I couldn’t find many similar problems, the ones I found, were easier to solve, basically it was a virus, or weren’t solved at all. I have some doubts about the reliability of my HDD by now, ’cause the older problem had its origin, according to some sources, in a HDD write or read error.

Any ideas of how can I solve this? Thanks in advance..

1. dave gee

To repair such type of error read this post http://windowsdatarecoverytool.blogspot.in/
    where you can found the solution to repair error.

2. Chadi El Haj

From My experience, The best way you could tell if your HDD is dying is when your trying to install windows 7, Choose to delete the System drive (usually C:) then create a new one. if you see that installation has created some extra unallocated space that can't be used to extend any drive. most probably your HDD is having some serious issues. but at any rate try to delete the system drive then create a new one to install windows 7 instead of formatting the system drive and installing on top of it.

3. Michael Heffner

I'm going to assume that if you did a fresh install and you are getting errors that your drive is probably going bad. There must have been problems to begin with to make you re-install. My suggestion is just buy another drive since they are so cheap now. Even if it turns out not to be the problem, you've given yourself a second drive for storage you probably needed anyway.

Francisco, it would be a great help if you could tell us what actually happens when you try to run a program. Do you get an error message? Does the program start and then crash? Does something else (e.g. Explorer) start instead of the program, or perhaps WIndows crashes?

When you re-installed Windows did you re-install your chipset drivers?
    Run a defrag on your hard drive, it will flag up any bad sectors. If it flags a problem then test your hard drive with one of the drive testers available here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

6. Faishal Akbar

Did you try reinstalling the Windows first? May Reinstalling will fix your problem. Or you can try sfc /scannow if you have reinstall the Windows and cannot running the application.
    Or, the problem on FIle asssociation? Try to fix association with assoc command

7. prashanth singh rathore

1. Do you get any error message when an application crashes?
    2. Did you make any software changes to the computer recently?

Method 1.
    Let us perform the clean boot troubleshooting to check if any third party application is causing the conflict with these applications.
    Refer to the article below for steps and more information about clean boot troubleshooting.
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Note: When the troubleshooting is over do not forget to reset the computer to normal startup. Follow the step 7 in the above article.

Method 2.
    I would need event viewer logs as well to troubleshoot this issue.
    Here is how:

Type eventvwr.msc /s in the address bar.

List any events that are listed as "Error" in the main window when you go to "Windows Logs" and "Application." There are often a lot of them. Send us whichever ones you see listed for the last couple days. (Please also do for the logs in "System"). When you do, provide us the name of the "Source" and whatever is listed in the description box below the list of logs when you click on one.

For more information about event viewer refer to the articles below:
    Open Event Viewer
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer

What information appears in event logs (Event Viewer)?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

Method 3.
    Since SFC scan also did not complete successfully I would ask you to upload the cbs log to the skydrive.
    Browse to the following location on your computer C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.logCan and upload your log to your public folder in the SkyDrive for analyzing.

Hope this helps.

Did you tried fresh OS installation rather than using the backup image of previous OS ?

If this problem continues even after fresh OS installation,then it'll be sure that your HDD has developed a problem.

9. Heru Widiyanto

Hi, If you have some doubts about the reliability of your HDD, base on my experience, Try Hdsentinel, accurate monitoring and analysis software for HDD and SSD, if your HDD health drop below 80%, well get ready to backup your data, and get a new HDD :)

10. Ashwin Ramesh

Try the sfc/scannow from the command window after going to your root directory and restart your computer.

1) go to run and ype cmd Right click on it and select run as administrator and run this command
    2)Type: sfc /scannow
    3) Restart the PC and run this bat file

first backup your registry then open regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDirectoryshell
    see what are sub there, if you see cmd then delete it.

File Association Fixes for Windows 7
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/