Why does the speaker sound muffled on my Dell Studio 1558?

Cristián T November 28, 2013

Hello. The sound that is being emitted from my speakers is being muffled as if covered by a sheet of plastic and I haven’t found out what is causing it yet. I remember that I sent my computer to Dell one time and this is the condition in which the speaker returned with the computer.

I would like to know if this is a software- or hardware- related issue; whether I simply need to update drivers or manually replace the speaker. Please let me know as soon as you can. Thank you so much for your time and patience, it is much appreciated.

1. Cristián T

So you're saying that if I listen through headphones, and the sound is clear, then my soundcard is fine? I've already tried through headphones and the sound is fine.

well it can be software/driver or hardware problem, you have to take the problem step by step, first uninstall the driver (do not delete) and reboot, check if it will solve the problem, if not then perhaps it is hardware problem, open the Dell Studio 1558 and check the speaker connectivity.

Dell PC Diagnostics
    http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/19?dgc=SM&cid=260354&lid=4761466

• Cristián T

I think it might be a hardware related issue. I already tried the first solution, which was to uninstall the driver. Do you think I'll have to replace the speaker? The connectivity is fine, as far as I'm aware.

you can try en external speaker to see if the sound is normal, if yes then your Dell Studio 1558 internal speakers are bad? if no then perhaps the sound card of Dell Studio 1558 is faulty?

• Cristián T

So I guess the internal speakers are faulty, since I already tried using an external speaker, which is actually what I relied on for clear, quality sound for a long time, until I dropped it accidentally and damaged it. But how do I know for sure that it's the internal speakers and not the sound card that are faulty? I don't want to spend money on new internal speakers and find out that they weren't the problem.

you can plug a headphone and listen for a while, if the soundcard is faulty then all output device will not delivered a good sound.

• Cristián T

So you’re saying that if I listen through headphones, and the sound is clear, then my soundcard is fine? I’ve already tried through headphones and the sound is fine.

well i guess the internal speaker something is wrong with...or somehow windows is corrupted and causing your problem, you can try factory restore to check if things will get solved, if no then replace the speaker.

• Cristián T

Since I already factory resetted my computer, I'm going to replace the speaker. Thanks for the help. :)